Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StephanieC71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2014, 04:14 AM
    Real Estate agent attempts to take leads Brokerage generated to another brokerage
    Recently had a real estate agent state that he was going to solicit all the leads he was given by the brokerage and start a new brokerage. Any recourse against this agent?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 15, 2014, 04:32 AM
    Depends on the contract between the agent and the brokerage. Most contracts would prohibit such an action. If there is no contract, then there is probably no legal recourse. What the brokerage can do is contact all the leads and inform them that this agent is unethical by trying to steal the brokerage's contacts and suggest this is not the type of person they want to deal with.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2014, 06:28 AM
    I agree, I would assume, there are strict non compete contracts, that is standard in the real estate industry in America.

There is also the issue that the leads should be people who have signed agreement with the one broker, and can not just change brokers anytime they want.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 15, 2014, 07:10 AM
    Leads don't have to be people with whom contracts have been signed. They can be any caller, anyone who signed into an open house, anyone who contacted a website.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Does this agent even have a broker's license yet? Aside from the legality of any contract he signed with his/your broker, he's blowing hot air and full of self importance. Potential buyers don't 'follow' agents when they move around, at least not more than a tiny number.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 15, 2014, 07:39 AM
    One would assume the brokerage will stop giving him leads if he doesn't bring them back to the brokerage. Are you a part of the brokerage? If so tell your boss. If not why would you care if he wants to go out on his own and steal clients? It's done all the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CD's/brokerage house vs bank [ 3 Answers ]

I've had my CD's w/a brokerage firm... almost no interest. A few banks offer a little bit more. Two of my CD's are up soon and one was up and put into a money market a/c and they are charging me for that. They said I should put all three into one or two a/c's and they will TRY not to add charges...

Buying a wine brokerage [ 2 Answers ]

I have an opportunity to purchase a wine brokerage. The broker has 120 active accounts and has exclusivity with his wine list for sales in Montgomery County Maryland. How do I determine the value and is this a good business and is it lucrative?

Brokerage fees [ 1 Answers ]

Can you deduct brokerage fees on your taxes

How to become a real estate agent? [ 2 Answers ]

Do you have to graduate high school to become a real estate agent? Or can you become one with a G.E.D.?

View more questions Search