Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jab751 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2014, 01:46 PM
    How to replace burned out switch?
    Cutting the wattage of a 300 watt bulb to 150 watts using a 3 way pull switch and device to drop the wattage.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 14, 2014, 01:50 PM
    Why not a 150 watt bulb? Or a 3 way, 50-100-150?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 14, 2014, 01:56 PM
    What is your question?

A switch will not change either the applied voltage, resistance or amperage so the wattage of the lamp will stay the same

May 14, 2014, 02:10 PM
    I have workbench light with 2 300watt halogen bulbs. Before it burned out, it operated with a SPDT switch @ 150/300watts. The device that was inline with the 1st pull of the switch got burned out beyond recognition, now I do not have drop in wattage. I could not locate the MFG to determine the device that failed. A RESISTOR?

May 15, 2014, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jab751 View Post
    I have workbench light with 2 300watt halogen bulbs. Before it burned out, it operated with a SPDT switch @ 150/300watts. The device that was inline with the 1st pull of the switch got burned out beyond recognition, now I do not have drop in wattage. I could not locate the MFG to determine the device that failed. A RESISTOR?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 15, 2014, 12:56 PM
    Okay, most likely it was a resistor that burned out. Wattage is a statement of heat.

Is the lamp connected to a 120 V ac circuit or a 240 V ac circuit?

To calculate the resistance for 300 watts, its is E X E / P or (120 * 120) / 300 = 48 Ohms. For 150 Watts, (120 * 120) /150 = 96 Ohms. So if my math is correct, you would need to place an additional 48 Ohm resistor off the pull switch 1 position to create the necessary reduction to create a 150 Watt output.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wires and plug giong to a/c compressor are burned up can I just replace that or will [ 0 Answers ]

The wires and plug going to my payne a/c unit compressor are completely burned up. Can I just replace that or will I need a new compressor?

How to replace a burned microchip inside the ecm? [ 1 Answers ]

Opening the ecm it is noticeable that one module or microchip is burned out and needs replacement, how to id it and requesting or asking for one at the local electronic store, what stores are recommended that will know what one is looking for?

Replace a burned out light on a kitchenaid dish washer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kitchenaid KUDC25CHSS1 dish washer where one of the indicator lights (sadly the "Clean" light) is not functioning - any suggestions on how to repair?

Dimmer switch burned out [ 4 Answers ]

This a long question, but I'm trying to give a lot of details. I appreciate any help! I have a hanging light in dining room that is turned on by one of those round dimmer switches, and its on the same wall panel as a regular flip light switch that turns on the garage light on the other side of the...

View more questions Search