Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wunderN Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Sued by Creditor though in a debt settlement program
    Hi. I have been in a debt settlement program since Aug. 2006 and have just been served papers by an attorney's office that they are trying to collect the debt for my creditor. I have filed an answer in the clerk's office of the court and wait to hear from the attorney. I was told by my program that this generally is a scare tactic to get you to pay. I can not pay the total amount at this time because of medical financial hardship I incurred. I am paying the company into a "savings" to make a settlement. Will I still be sued and will this go to court? Should I get an attorney to represent me, tho' I can not afford the extra expense?
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2007, 01:13 PM
    No one will have a for sure answer here but if you give us a little more info, we may be able to shed some light on the subject...

1. What state do you live in?
    2. How long has it been since you late paid this account directly?
    3. Was it a COLLECTION letter from an attorneys office or was it a SUMMONS from a court or what?
    4. What creditor is it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Debt Settlement programs are VOLUNTARY on the part of the creditors. There is no rule or law comperlling them to participate. So they have every right to dun you or even sue you outside the program. Most will ooperate with the settlement agency, but some won't.
    wunderN Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 01:31 PM
    This was a summons from the court to reply to the attorney, if I am understanding correctly. I have gotten letters from two attorneys stating they would be glad to assist me in this matter, so it must be on record at the court house that this is a civil action taken against me to collect the debt owed to TARGET National Bank/Visa. This is in Georgia. I don't have the statement with me, but I believe I last made a payment in June or July of 2006.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting sued for a 10 year old debt [ 5 Answers ]

I received a letter from a lawyer saying I had a 10 year old mastercard with $5000 outstanding. I called the credit card company and they know nothing about it. I vagley remember something about it but thought it was all taken care of. The law firm is very aggressive and have a million horrible ...

Mbna creditor debt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my husband had a credit card through MBNA about 5 years ago, he was in an accident and used the card to pay his bill at the time. Then he let the card go and did not make payments, mostly because we have 3 kids and the economy in Michigan was bad so was hard to make ends meet! Anyway, the card...

Being sued over old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a lawsuite against me from a credit card company, from debt incurred a few years ago. I'd like to know if: I should go through paying an attorney and the whole process, or, should I wait and see what happens? Would it be wise for me to send a lump sum to the attorney and see if...

Being sued over an old credit card debt. [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings, I recently was served with papers via a Sherrif's deputy around 2 months ago. I answered the supeona and followed all of the proper channels notifying the bottom feeder collection attorney that bought the debt that the debt was incorrect, not mine, and that the statue of limitations had...

View more questions Search