Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ben_md Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2014, 11:52 PM
    Why is my VPN causing my modem/router to stop working?
    Here is some background on my particular situation.

My ISP is not a large company, but rather an individual. From what I understand he has placed an antenna of sorts on the roof of my building and a wire that runs from that to my modem/router. The antenna connects to a tower that he has a short distance from here. I know that he claims his service will give 15 Mbps, though a speed test at speedtest.net gave me a download speed of just over 7 Mbps. Regardless, on to the main issue.

My router is an ASUS RT-N12, which is operating with Tomato firmware. I signed up for Private Internet Access VPN service so I could access additional content on my Samsung Smart TV, including US Netflix. I know VPNs cause the internet speed to slow down so I did notice that after I set the VPN up on my router according to the instructions given on their website here: https://www.privateinternetaccess.co...ding-tomatousb

So that was all fine, and I was still able to access everything, including US Netflix, etc. Today was the first time I actually tried to watch a Netflix movie (before I only went on to confirm that US Netflix was displaying, confirming that the VPN was working). It worked well for a bit, and then my internet stopped working altogether on all my devices. After restarting the modem, the internet would work, and I could browse websites, stream internet radio, etc. But when I tried to watch Netflix it would stream for a short while (approximately 3 minutes give or take) and then stop working again, forcing me to reboot the modem. This happened several times and I could only reproduce this effect when I was trying to stream video from Netflix. That being said I didn't try to stream video from another source.

I've since changed the modem/router settings so that the VPN is no longer active and everything is working perfectly again. It seemed like when I used a higher amount of bandwidth, is when the internet would go. Any ideas on the reason behind this issue? I've never had this problem before, but this is the first time I've used this particular VPN.
    farvaknowsbest Posts: 199, Reputation: 8

May 15, 2014, 02:17 PM
    It's possible there is a problem with the tomato firmware flashed on it. Might want to try a different firmware such as dd-wrtsee: Asus RT-N12 - DD-WRT Wiki

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why maybe causing my electrical outlet to stop working? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I have an electrical outlet that stopped working. There is another outlet on the same line which is working but when I was testing it with my toaster oven, I pulled the plug out and I saw a bright reddish flash from behind the base plate. Both are Gfi outlets behind the kitchen sink. I...

How far the router should be from modem [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to run network cat6 cables in my house. I want to install the router on the second floor and my modem is on in the basement. The WAN cable from modem to router will be about 100 feet. Would this cause any problem? Will the long cable effect the speed download or upload speed. Thanks

Modem router [ 5 Answers ]

Do I need 2 set up modem router on laptop as well as main computer to establish network connection? I want 2 use my laptop wireless connection but main computer is ethernet linked to router

Broadband Modem & Modem with Router (DSL-2640B) [ 1 Answers ]

When I'm connecting broadband using D-Link ADSL broadband Modem, the connected computer will connect to Internet after verifying username and password. If I'll replace that modem with D-Link DSL-2640B (A broadband ADSL Modem WiFi router) then will this router can connect to Internet automaticall...

When I connect my laptop to the modem, all other connected pcs stop working? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everybody, my problem seems to be very critical. Whenever i connect my labtop to the modem i cannot surf the internet, also when i try to repair the connection it says i cannot renew my IP. MOREOVER IF I LOOK to my ethernet modem i found the green light of my Ip port flashes continuously...

View more questions Search