Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mohan_satyan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Tax filing status, I'm on H1, my wife on H4
    I've been working in US on H1 status since Jan 2005.
    I got married on 12/13/06 back in my country and my wife arrived in US with me on 1/3/07.

Now, can I file 2006 taxes in 'Married Joing filing' status ?

I've seen the following info on one of threads but I'm not sure if I can do Joing filing when my wife hasn't accompanied me to US in 2006.

Answers are appreciated.

Thanks.

----------------------------------

Your wife probably does not qualify for a SSN, but can get an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) by filling out Form W-7, getting a photocopy of her passport notarized as a true copy, then mail these two form, along with your jointly prepared tax return, to the address in the W-7 instructions. The IRS will review the forms, issue the ITIN,
    Insert the number on the tax form, process the form and mail her back her ITIN under separate correspondence. The W-7 (with instructions) can be downloaded from Internal Revenue Service (http://www.irs.gov).
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Yes, you CAN file jointly with your wife. Her physcial location in 2006 is irrelevant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Tax filing for H4 - dependent - Wife and Son [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Tax Expert. I am in USA since 28Nov 2005 till today , Well my wife and my son joined me in USA on 24th May 2006. They were here till 20th Jan 2007. Since my wife and son are on H4 they couldn't get SSN. My concern is how should I get Tax Id for them and Is there a separate procedure to...

H1B Holder filing status - Wife & Kids never been to US [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am a H1B holder in US from Jun 2006. My Wife and kids never been to US. What would be my filing status and can I claim Spouse Exemption. Thanks - SP

Filing tax Married but wife not in US [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married last year now, 1. Can I select filing status married although my wife is not here with me in US 2. To get ITIN for my wife can I leave the visa information balnk on W-7 form Thanks

H1B Visa; Wife on H4; Filing Status [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I have been on H1B visa since July 2003. I am currently residing in New Jersey for the past 2 years. I got married in May and my wife accompanied me to US on 05/22/2006. She is on a H4 Visa and has been living with me since then. She does not have a SSN/ITIN/TIN. To file my taxes: ...

View more questions Search