Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mommydearest35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2014, 01:09 PM
    Contested adoption... help!
    We had a baby placed with us in November. We filed our petition for adoption January 31st. Putative father claims he did not know mother was pregnant. On Feb 4th he registered on the putative father registry, filed for paternity, blood tests show he is the father and now he is contesting the adoption. On his FB page he speaks about smoking weed, not having a job, dealing drugs, no car, no money. I have shared all that info with our attorney. What are our chances of winning? Will the FB stuff help us? He has never given money, and only seen the baby once at the paternity testing. Help! I'm going crazy!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 11, 2014, 03:07 PM
    Given all the variables involved, you should be insisting that your lawyer be answering all your questions as this drags on. Laws vary by state and the way courts tend to handle such cases varies by court and even by judge. Is your lawyer an adoption lawyer?
    We can't possibly know enough about the mother and the bio father. He really openly admits to drug dealing on Facebook? Sounds odd for someone willing to go to court over this. Does he have a lawyer? Were you at the paternity testing, and when was it? What was the last thing your lawyer told you?
    Most of the timeline is missing here.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 11, 2014, 05:16 PM
    Many kids today are wanabe gangstas. Unless there is photo evidence then the written word may not be good enough.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 11, 2014, 05:48 PM
    Many corts now go to FB, Instagram, and the like to assist in determination of a persons character. I hope your attorney is keeping record of this man's online activity.this doesn't bode well for the father of the child.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2014, 09:25 PM
    First I am sorry this happens, your attorney during adoption should have required a father signing off on adoption. Not having a father signing off, opens up things like this.

I also hope you have made copies of the FB information.

Remember in court he will show up in a suit, maybe have a job by then.

As for as paying money to baby, if there is no court order, he is not required, esp till he proves paternity.

So your lawyer, willl need to try and prove baby better with you. It is a battle,
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 11, 2014, 10:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    your attorney during adoption should have required a father signing off on adoption. Not having a father signing off, opens up things like this.
    That is not always possible if the mother does not identify a father at the time of birth. And that is what the case is here.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 11, 2014, 10:26 PM
    I am not sure what kind of relation has FB to paternity.
    If he is determined as the father then he will have all rights and responsibilities. The court should decide who is the parent but not who would be better parent.
    There are several cases where the father got rights even many years after adoption was finalized. Baby Richard and baby Jessica for example...

P.S. Your attorney had to explain you that any adoption without father listed on BC is legally at risk adoption.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 12, 2014, 04:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommydearest35 View Post
    What are our chances of winning? Will the FB stuff help us? He has never given money, and only seen the baby once at the paternity testing. Help! I'm going crazy!
    The FB stuff will only mean that a more thorough home evaluation may be conducted. I doubt if the court will make a decision based on it. The court will want a first hand check on his fitness to be a father.

Your attorney can better advise you knowing the mood of the local court better than us. My guess is that the adoption will be put on hold giving the father a chance to prove his fitness.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 12, 2014, 06:36 AM
    Here's the thing: There are THOUSANDS of lousy parents out there.

Here's the other thing: They still have legal rights to their children.

And another thing: A lot of people change and step up their game when they become parents, putting behind them things like drugs and partying and flitting from job to job in order to try to be a good parent.

This man has a legal right to have his child, and if he didn't even KNOW about the child, it's not exactly his fault that he hasn't yet.

As far as visiting the child--he may be following his lawyer's advice and not interrupting your life and taking the time since the paternity test to get his life in order--a better place to live and a job take time, you know.

No one can tell you how this will play out. NO ONE.

I know your heart is breaking right now, and you're really afraid, but you need to not look for reassurance on the internet and you need to make sure your lawyer is on top of everything. That being said--you are facing the fear of losing your child right now. Can you not see how the father is facing that same fear? Can you really build your happiness on the pain of someone who didn't want their child to be placed with someone else? Do you think it's fair to take his child away from him when he didn't have a say in any of it?

And I'm not on anyone's "side" here---I'm a birthmother who chose adoption 22 years ago this week, and I'm also a mother who faced years of infertility and dozens of treatments before my "miracle" son was born. I know the pain on both sides. I'm just saying that you shouldn't look at this man as a monster, but as a parent who may or may not love his child.

The court will decide based on both the law and the best interests of the child. If you are religious, I would pray. And I would also keep on top of your lawyer to keep you updated on what is going on and what the best thing for you to do right now is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contested divorce [ 2 Answers ]

My husband is going through withdrawals from drug addiction and has decided in a frenzy of emotion to divorce me. We've only been married 4months and share a house we rent. I'm currently not working and have no money or a vehicle. I moved to his town and know no one. He is telling me I must move...

Contested divorce and trying to do it on my own. [ 2 Answers ]

My ex husband is a commercial fisherman. I am a single working mother. (my son is from first marriage) We were only married for 4 months before he decided he wanted a divorce. We have not properties, no children, and no monies together. He is asking for a china hutch he gave me, for me to...

Contested divorce [ 3 Answers ]

Our daugther has filed for divorce. Her soon to be X, I hope, is contesting wanting equity. We gave her the land, made down payment and other expenses of setting up double wide. He signed papers all he intitled to was one half of principal paid on home. He has not lived there for 2 yrs and did...

Contested Adoption [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently engaged in a contested adoption with my ex-husband. He has not seen her or paid child support in four years. My current husband is trying to adopt her, but the Ex-husband is contesting it. My question is, has anybody ever been through this? What can I expect? What is the total cost?...

I got a contested divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I am living in CA. After I got married, I have been in constant verbal and physical violence from my wife. After my wife beat me several times in one week in August 2007, I filed a refraining order and moved out. Since then we separated. Last month I filed the divorce petition, recently I received...

View more questions Search