Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    __sarah__ Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2005, 06:27 PM
    PRINT SPOOLER NOT WORKING! :( help, anyone?
    OK first of all my dad wanted to move the computer so he just unplugged all the wires and replugged them... before we moved the computer, the printer was still working and after we moved the computer, and replugged the printer, the hp deskjet printer is missing when I go to "Printers and Faxes" and so I thought I had to "add a printer" but when I click on that, it says "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running." and I went on the web to search for the solution to this problem and it told me to delete all the files in the print spooler or something, and I did that, but it still doesn't work... also I went to services and tried to start the service but it came up with a message saying: "Could not start the print spooler on Local Computer. Error 2: System cannot find the file specified." what file am I missing?? How do I get my print spooler to start working again? And install a printer?? :(
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Feb 21, 2005, 07:50 PM
    Hi Sarah,

CAUSE

This error occurs because the Spooler service has not been started or has stopped working. To start the Spooler service, follow these steps:

1.Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2.Double-click Administrative Tools, and then click Services.

3.Double-click the Printer Spooler service, and then change the startup type to Automatic. This sets the Spooler service to start automatically when you restart the computer.

4.If you want to start the spooler service immediately, click the Start button under the Service Status field.

STATUS

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.

From: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q314876

Hope this helps!
    Whiskey14

Feb 22, 2005, 03:46 PM
    I've tried that before and I did it again like u said, but it won't start cause therez a file I'm "missing"... not sure what file... are there any files that are related to the print spooler??

thanks though =)
    ibbwhobu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2005, 08:35 PM
    Me Too
    I'm seeing the same issues with my XP Pro install. All of a sudden, no printers, can't add any because "The print spooler is not running." Start the print spooler, it will not stay running for more that 30-40 seconds. Have searched the web and removed everything I can find to remove. The spooler still keeps stopping.
    braddy55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2005, 03:29 AM
    I had a very similar problem. I suddenly lost all my printers, local and networked. When I tried to Add a Printer I got “Operation could not be completed”. I followed instructions in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314876/EN-US/ and got “the dependency service or group failed to start”, when I tried to start the Print Spooler.
    I suggest you check the following :-

Check what Services the Print Spooler is dependent on :-

To open Services, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services.
    Right-click on Print Spooler and select Properties. Select Dependencies tab and make a note of the services in the first box that the Print Spooler is dependent on.

Start/Run/msconfig and open the Services tab. Check to see if any Services tick boxes have been cleared and if they correspond to the ones you have noted from above, tick the box and do a re-start. I had just changed my old Lexmark printer for an HP machine and in un-installing the Lexmark I had also cleared the tick box against LexBce Server, not expecting it to be needed by my new HP machine. Problem solved!

Mar 25, 2005, 09:02 PM
    it will not stay running for more that 30-40 seconds
    ^-----well mine won't even start lol

well i got to the part where i had to start/run/msconfig.. and itz all ticked.. it depends on something called a "remote procedure.." something like that, and i tried to untick it and tick it again, but it won't let me cause it says that it mite prevent windows from running, so i left it and restarted my computer... and it still says "operation cannot be completed"... i think I'm missing a .dll file :(... but i don't know which one, and i dun remember deleting a file like that.. is there any way i can get that file back?
    braddy55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2005, 02:16 AM
    Print Spooler Not Working
    Sorry, Sarah, this is getting beyond me now! Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the printer software? Maybe the dll you need is part of the install process.

Good luck!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2005, 08:35 AM
    Print Spooler
    Hi,
    Braddy has a good idea.
    To to Control Panel, then Add/Remove Programs.
    On the left, scroll down to the printer, left click on it to highlight it, and click on Remove.
    Then, re-boot the computer.

Insert your printer CD and install it again.
    You might have to go back to Control Panel, or My Computer, and add the printer again through Printers.

Best of luck,
    fredg

Mar 29, 2005, 09:58 PM
    Yea I will try reinstalling the software again, then I'll tell you guyz how it goes cause rite now I'm not on that comp.. thanx guyz :)
    Shadowvin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2005, 08:11 PM
    Follow the directions on this web site
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    ibbwhobu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2005, 06:02 AM
    Found my problem
    I believe I've found the issue with my printers not working.

Turns out it seems to be related to some remote desktop software I was installing. I need to be able to control machines at work from my home computer. The software we use, though it says it is compatible with XP, is not. Every time I install the software, I loose are ability to print to my local network. As soon as I uninstall the app, the printers come back without me having to do anything. But as long as the app is installed, there is absolutely nothing I can do to get the print spooler to stay active for more than 30-40 seconds.

I've given up and decided to try a different method of control and so far it seems to be working, not quite as elegant, but at least it is workable.
    jocase Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2005, 01:01 AM
    Print Spooler
    Delete all printer drivers and reinstall whichever one you use.
    Your print driver is corrupt. Print Services will not work if one or more print drivers is corrupt. :mad:

Reinstall you driver by downloading the latest version that matches your printer model, from the manufacturer's web site. Do not try to do it through "Add Printer" or from a disk.

I don't think moving the computer did this. It just happens!

John
    sohi Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2005, 11:13 AM
    I have same problem.
    I have looked at on "services" but there have I "Print Spooler" also no. what do can I?
    pleeseee help me :(

Quote Originally Posted by braddy55
    I had a very similar problem. I suddenly lost all my printers, local and networked. When I tried to Add a Printer I got “Operation could not be completed”. I followed instructions in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314876/EN-US/ and got “the dependency service or group failed to start”, when I tried to start the Print Spooler.
    I suggest you check the following :-

Check what Services the Print Spooler is dependent on :-

To open Services, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services.
    Right-click on Print Spooler and select Properties. Select Dependencies tab and make a note of the services in the first box that the Print Spooler is dependent on.

Start/Run/msconfig and open the Services tab. Check to see if any Services tick boxes have been cleared and if they correspond to the ones you have noted from above, tick the box and do a re-start. I had just changed my old Lexmark printer for an HP machine and in un-installing the Lexmark I had also cleared the tick box against LexBce Server, not expecting it to be needed by my new HP machine. Problem solved!!

Jul 20, 2005, 04:20 PM
    Well my printer's up n' running now thanks :D
    kennyGoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2005, 12:48 AM
    Thanks Shadowvin the directions on the web site given works! Problems solved! :)
    ngedownload Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2009, 01:39 AM

Eally easy way please read the instructions here: Restoring lost PrintSpooler Service | Free Downloads
    leomartintsa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2013, 10:05 PM
    ** Spooler Problem fixed **

I had the same Problem before and now I have it solved help of this following article please click below and follow their mentioned steps and get your problem fixed.
    Click this link

(Solved) How to Fix Print Spooler not Running - Free Fixit Download
    farvaknowsbest Posts: 199, Reputation: 8

May 17, 2013, 07:04 AM
    May try this:

Go to start and type in "cmd" (without quotes) when you see cmd in the search window right click on it and choose run as administrator.

In the cmd window type the following commands:

Net stop spooler (enter)

Del %windir%\system32\spool\printers\*.* /q (enter)

Net start spooler (enter)

After that finishes try printing again and see what happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Charlot print? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Jean Charlot print of "village in france" with a copyright Camilla Lucas NYC 1935 in the upper left corner of the print. In the lower left corner is "sur le coteau". It is in the original frame and has the triangle stamp on the back. What charlot collection is this from and have you any...

Cannot print emails [ 49 Answers ]

This problem started about two weeks ago.  Whenever I try to print an email using Outlook Express 6.0 (my OS is XP), I get this window: Internet Explorer Script Error ! An error has occurred in the script on this page. Line:  1344 Char:  1 Error:  Unspecified error. Code:  0

Print Screen Key [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what the "Print Screen" key is for and how it works? Or maybe direct me to a site where I can get the information. Thanks. DAVE.

Won't Print [ 1 Answers ]

I have styus C 80 printer .After being out of Blk. Ink for several months I finally replaced the cartridge. At 1st the paper would come out w/ nothing on it at all, Then I got a pop up saying among other things "THIS PRINTER COULD NOT BE INSTALLED,RESTART WINDOWS & THEN TRY AGAIN" . Now tonight I...

How do I print [ 2 Answers ]

I use win98se. I have a folder that has both audio and video files in it . How do I print the contents of this folder. I tried to copy and paste into wordpad but that didn't work.I also tried hitting the print screen key and alt+print keys and that didn't work. Can I print just the info in the...

View more questions Search