Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpgccfl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2014, 08:14 AM
    Garnishment Florida
    I have to file a claim of exemption and request for hearing in Florida since a creditor is trying to garnish my wages. I am salary and make around $650 a week. My husband is by commission, and there are some months that he doesn't make any money. We don't have kids. Will he be consider my dependent? I had a previous hearing, and the case was dissolved, but the plaintiff is trying again the garnish my wages. What can I do?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 9, 2014, 09:35 AM
    Pay them what you owe. They are legally entitled to collect what you owe them. They can hound you to the day you die and get if from any estate you leave.

If you work, and have a judgement against you, why would your income be exempt from garnishment?
    rpgccfl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2014, 12:12 PM
    Yes. I work. We don't collect unemployment, or get help from the Government. I make enough to pay my bills and struggle to save a little, and sometimes nothing. If my wages are garnished (which will be about $500/month) I won't be able to pay for food, gas, rent, etc. Don't you think that I want to pay what I owe? I am not that stupid to know that that is the right thing to do. But I can't, I can't pay that debt now. I just wanted to know what can I do to get an exemption, since I don't see my situation getting better. Thank you for your response, but it was hurtful and worthless.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 9, 2014, 12:18 PM
    SSI would be exempt... not actual wages earned.

It's the truth... and its factual. It might not be what you want to hear... but it was the unblemished truth.

Why didn't you work out a deal to pay them something on a regular basis.....they resort to garnishment as a last resort.

$650 a week times 52 weeks a year gives you $33,800 a year, plus whatever he earns. You could easily be above the median income with his income factored in.

You might not be rich....but there is plenty of money there if you cut your spending on the things you don't need to pay for this debt.

Sorry but I've paid off my college education which was 100% funded by student loans while making far less than you alone make per year. And I paid for rent, food, carpayment, insurance and everything else on top of it. And later on I even paid off over $25,000 in foolishly run up credit card debt without it going to collection, all while making less than you make.

I've gotten by on a lot less money........and wasn't ever late on bills.....I've seen people making three times as much having trouble because they never learned how to live within their means. Sorry if that sounds harsh...but I don't see that income level as being truely poor. I've seen truely poor.

I predict nobody is going to give you an exemption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

Hey ,I just want to know something else about garnishment because I just saw my bank accoubt today and noticied the I got a 7500.00 overdraw,and I call the bank and they told me it's a Florida garnishment but they don't tell me nothing else,tnks

Objection to garnishment in Florida [ 4 Answers ]

I had my car repo'd in 2002, and my wages have been getting garnished since April of this year 2009. I only owed $2000 on the car, but they have taken $3900 so far from me through the garnishment. I set a court date, went in without an lawyer and was told they'd break the payments from 173.00 to...

Florida Garnishment [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I am from Florida. Ford Credit is trying to garnish my wages. Is it true that if there is no notification in writing from me that I agreed to the garnishment in the original contract - then they cannot garnish my wages. I am a single individual. I have read my original contract and there...

Wage Garnishment in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

I have an obnoxious debt collection agency harassing me over an old Student Loan. I never received anything in the mail, just repeated phone calls to my office. After requesting it six times that they send me documentation via postage mail, nothing ever came in the mailbox. They just kept...

View more questions Search