Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    13ecca91 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2014, 08:42 AM
    Wills and name changes
    Hi there.
    To cut a long story short...
    My parents never married and I was given my mothers surname.
    I have recently found out that my dad has terminal cancer and has made a will stating whatever as my current name.
    I have always wanted to change my name to my fathers surname but it would really mean something to me if I changed to it now.
    I was just about to do it by deed poll when I remembered my dad had already made a will.
    If I change my surname to his but the will states me as my previous surname will it cause problems when it comes to that point?
    Am I best getting my dad to change the name in the will?
    Obviously when things happen I want things to be as smooth as possible and hopefully no hassle but I'd really love to still have a part of my dad.
    If anyone could give me any advice that would be wonderful.
    Many thanks
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 8, 2014, 09:01 AM
    No, I doubt that changing your name now will present a problem. As you can do this by deed poll, I assume you are in the UK (or, in any event, not in the US where name changes are normally done by petitioning the court). Check with a solicitor to be sure, but I'm reasonably confident that a probate court will find that your father meant you when he wrote the will.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wills [ 5 Answers ]

My sister passed away last October, she had been in the hospital for 4 days and her step sons never called to let us know. They finally called on the 4th day and told us she had passed away. My brother and I have been told by the 2 step sons that she had a will, now we are hearing from her closest...

Does any one know about wills? [ 24 Answers ]

Is it legal in North Carolina to make a will leaving real property to someone other than your spouse with out the knowledge and consent of said spouse?

Wills [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Recently my grandma passed away. She had a will and she appointed an executor to carry out her last wishes. Due to family conflict the executor has decided to step back and allow an attorney to carry out the will. Now I know that all of the bank accounts have beneficiary desingation however...

Wills [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a limit of time for a family member to request to view a deceased family member s Will? Who would a person contact to see the will?

Wills [ 2 Answers ]

I was just wondering what the California law is about the following. After my mother died my ex sister in law at the day of the funeral approached my father to sign things over to her, I believe he did? Then re recently got married and the lady talked my father into signing things over to her. As...

View more questions Search