Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wantn2stayn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2014, 07:58 PM
    Can you get a third mortgage if you already have a second motgage?
    I have a regular mortgage and prime equity line of credit, which is called the second mortgage can I get a third mortgage?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 7, 2014, 08:06 PM
    Today.. Highly unlikely a lender would do that. Few years back... maybe, today, highly unlikely.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2014, 04:39 AM
    Really depends on how much equity you have in the property. Its more likely that you can get a refi of your first mortgage. But if you have little or no equity its going to be near impossible to get any more money on the property.

Remember a mortgage is a secured loan. Its secured by the value of the property. The lender wants to know that, if you default, the property can be sold to recoup what they lent.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 8, 2014, 04:57 AM
    And a third mortgage would have to pick up any scraps if there are any left after the first and second mortgage liens are satisfied. Definitely far less secure from the lenders perspective. And as such... they would be far more hesitant to make such a loan, and the interest rate would be much higher on one as a result.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2014, 05:50 AM
    May be able to refi, on first or first and second. Depends on equity. But a third not that likely

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deceased mother took a motgage on her house to lend her business money does it need t [ 5 Answers ]

My deceased mother took a mortgage on her house to lend money to her business. The mortgage payment s were made through the business and the current accountant tells us the estate needs to pay the mortgage because it looks personal. Can this loan be reclassified?

My wife and I are getting divorced, I want my name of the deed and motgage [ 1 Answers ]

my wife and I are getting divorced,the house is in both our names, I want my name off the deed and motgage, both american citizens, house value decreased, still not paid off. She wants to stay in the house, and I need to find another house with mortgage. I cannot pay two mortgages. That is why I...

Death of a parent~motgage issues, avoiding probate [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you for your advice in advance. A friend's mother died recently and it brought to mind a sticky subject. We had to refinance my mother's home to provide living expenses for her as neither I nor my sister was financially in a position to support her. She is the only person on her deed,...

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

View more questions Search