Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SpecialKay118 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2014, 04:55 PM
    New kitten is being weird..
    So I just got this little kitten a little over a week ago. She has been absolutely perfect. She was comfortable in the house from the second I brought her home, she knows where her dish is and eats and drinks like a little pig. She was litter box trained instantly. She was a preemie so she's still very tiny for an 8 week old kitten. She's probably about the size of a 6 week old kitten at this point. She's still too little to walk up and down the stairs (either that or she's just lazy and knows I'll cater to her) so she's only had one accident since I've had her. She pooped on our bedroom floor because she couldn't make it to the litter box that is down stairs.

But any who she long story short she has adjusted perfectly, she runs this place and she knows it just like her momma haha. My question is, today she started sucking on my shirt. Like she thinks I'm her mother or something? Its like she's searching for a nipple. She's never done it before, and I found it odd I've never had a cat do this before. I'm probably overreacting. I do that a lot lately. I got this kitten to fill the void of my miscarriage. I needed something to love and mother after I found out I lost my baby.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong, but is it possible for her to start missing her mom after almost two weeks? I would have thought she would have already forgot about her real mom. But I'm also worried because she was a preemie and she's so tiny that something's wrong with her.

Who ever answers this please don't think I'm weird or crazy lol I'm just over protective of everything right now. Hormones haha.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 7, 2014, 05:10 PM
    First, get at least one more litter box. She shouldn't have to go so far to find her bathroom. Make sure she can get into it easily.

I had a kitten who chewed on my hair. Another sucked on my shirt or a towel or anything that was soft cotton. Your kitten misses her mom and will grow out of this behavior (sort of like a human baby with a pacifier).
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2014, 07:16 PM
    I don't think it is that weird of a behavior . At the same time, a preemie shouldn't have been separated from the mom so soon. Just watch it carefully and I agree... Get another litter box.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

May 8, 2014, 02:29 PM
    Suckling is clothing is basically the feline version of thumb sucking. Most cats grow out of it, but I have known a couple adult cats that never did. It's not something to worry about, and is usually a sign of contentment. A lot of kittens will still comfort nurse long after they move on to solid food, as long as their mother still lets them. When their mother isn't around, that attachment moves to a person or soft fabric. It's more a sign of trust than anything. She is comfortable enough around you to let her guard down completely.

As long as she doesn't appear to be losing weight or showing any other signs of illness or distress, I wouldn't worry about it. I have two cats, both four years old, who suckle air when they're really comfortable, which results in them drooling on me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My old cat doesn't like my new kitten and is acting weird towards me, how do I help? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 13 year old male cat who is my best buddy. He is very friendly and usually sleeps in my room and is super clingy and lays on the couch with me. My 20 year old female died about two years ago so he is used to being the king of the house now. A few days ago I adopted a 10 week old male...

6 week kitten walks weird? [ 2 Answers ]

Concern about development of kitten

My cat ran away with 1 kitten and returned without the kitten [ 3 Answers ]

My cat had 5 kittens two weeks ago and this past weekend she ran away with 1 of the kittens. Two days later she returned but did not bring her other kitten. We believe she didn't leave the neighborhood cause our neighbors saw her walking around each night in the neighborhood but did not want to be...

Male cat acting kitten to male kitten after bringing kitten home neutered. [ 1 Answers ]

I have three cats, Microchip, Monk and Minx. Microchip and Minx are 1+ years old and fixed. Monk is about 6 months old. All of our cats used to get along well. They'd sleep all huddled together. The two males were very close. Micro would groom Monk, play with him, and was inseparable. We took Monk...

My Older Kitten hates my new Young Kitten. [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Im hoping someone can help me. I have a 5month old kitten at home who is usually very affectionate and loving (also spayed) Yesterday I rescued a 9 week old kitten so my eldest would have some company when I'm out at work. I knew they wouldn't get on great at first but my...

View more questions Search