Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

May 6, 2014, 05:20 PM
    IRA Cash Can I Move it?
    I have some cash IRA money being held by the Stock Account and it pays a paultry .01 percent. Could put it under my mattress and not lose very much.
    Is there any place I can move out and into something that will pay more and
    Still be protected by IRA rules?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 6, 2014, 05:27 PM
    THere are different types of IRA's... they have different rules... Which type is this?
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

May 6, 2014, 10:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    THere are different types of IRA's... they have different rules... Which type is this?
    It is a "Rollover IRA" with MRD's and taxable.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 7, 2014, 05:49 AM
    Your IRA assets must be held separate from other "regular" investments in an account that is established specifially as an IRA. Putting cash under your mattress does not qualify! I suggest that you look for an alternate investment other than cash. Given that you already have a stock account, so you may want to consider a corporate or government bond fund so you have some diversity in your investments. Depending on what institution you have chosen to invest with they probably have multiple investment options to choose from, and if not you can always roll your account to another institition that does.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gift of cash to me I put in IRA -- Will the withdrawal be taxable? [ 4 Answers ]

Gift of cash to me I put in ira- Will the withdrawal be taxable?

I have rescinded my citizenship and 61 years old and how do I cash I cash out my IRA [ 2 Answers ]

Tax implication on cashing out IRA for someone who has rescinded the citizenship and have turned 60.

Are you taxed on inheritance of IRA's and CD's if you cash them out [ 1 Answers ]

Are you taxed on inheritance of IRA's and CD's in Ca or buy the feds if you cash them out

Present Cash Value of IRA/401K [ 1 Answers ]

If I had to liquidate my 401k and IRA today (total balance =$100,000), how would I calculate that and approximately how much would I be left with after taxes and penmalties?

Should I move my former 401k into an IRA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have taken a dist from my former 401k into an eligible retirement a/c. If I open an IRA should I merge the former 401k-eligible retirement a/c to this IRA?

View more questions Search