Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 8, 2014, 05:34 PM
    The only way to reopen a closed case is with fresh evidence, and taking her to court for over paying or wrongly paying requires PROOF, and the right lawyer. If you are not going to go about this in the right way, your emotional outrage (which I do not blame you for not one bit) is USELESS.

Did you review the link I gave you? There are many like it, so stop spinning your wheels and do your HOMEWORK. Get facts and tamp down on those feelings. Consultations can be FREE. Call around and find it.
    ccordy30 Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2014, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    The only way to reopen a closed case is with fresh evidence, and taking her to court for over paying or wrongly paying requires PROOF, and the right lawyer. If you are not going to go about this in the right way, your emotional outrage (which I do not blame you for not one bit) is USELESS.

Did you review the link I gave you? There are many like it, so stop spinning your wheels and do your HOMEWORK. Get facts and tamp down on those feelings. Consultations can be FREE. Call around and find it.
    Will do.. THANK YOU A lot..
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 9, 2014, 01:21 AM
    Disestablishment of Paternity - New Florida Paternity & Child Support Law
    Termination of Child Support Obligation
    The alleged father may be relieved of his child support obligation pursuant to Florida Rule of Civil Procedure 1.540(b) RELIEF FROM JUDGMENT, DECREES, OR ORDERS:
    (b) Mistakes; Inadvertence; Excusable Neglect; Newly Discovered Evidence; Fraud; etc.
    On motion and upon such terms as are just, the court may relieve a party or a party's legal representative from a final judgment, decree, order, or proceeding for the following reasons:
    • mistake, inadvertence, surprise, or excusable neglect;
    • newly discovered evidence which by due diligence could not have been discovered in time to move for a new trial or rehearing.
    Family Law Expert

May 9, 2014, 01:25 AM
    HICKMAN v. MILSAP, No. 5D12–1239., February 08, 2013 - FL District Court of Appeal | FindLaw

A recent Fifth District Court of Appeals case held that a disestablishment of paternity action does not relieve the alleged father of any previously established child support arrearages.
    The Florida statute, section 742.18, which deals with disestablishment of paternity states that the disestablishment of paternity “relief shall be limited to issues of prospective child support payments and termination of parental rights, custody, and visitation rights.. . All previous lawful actions taken based on reliance on the [male's previous status as father] are confirmed retroactively but not prospectively.”

May 9, 2014, 04:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70 View Post
    HICKMAN v. MILSAP, No. 5D12–1239., February 08, 2013 - FL District Court of Appeal | FindLaw

A recent Fifth District Court of Appeals case held that a disestablishment of paternity action does not relieve the alleged father of any previously established child support arrearages.
    The Florida statute, section 742.18, which deals with disestablishment of paternity states that the disestablishment of paternity “relief shall be limited to issues of prospective child support payments and termination of parental rights, custody, and visitation rights.. . All previous lawful actions taken based on reliance on the [male’s previous status as father] are confirmed retroactively but not prospectively.”
    So in this case I assume Iam screwed and might as well take it as a LOST?.
    OVER $10K DOLLARS??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 9, 2014, 04:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ccordy30 View Post
    OVER $10K DOLLARS??
    It certainly looks like it. But I'm still unclear on something. Were you at the original hearing where support was awarded? Because if you were and you denied paternity and denied signing an acknowledgement of paternity and a DNA test was not performed, then something was not right with the award. You might be able to do something based on that.

But the only way you will know is by consulting a local Family Law attorney. I'm assuming you did not do so initially. Had you been represented at the original hearing you might not have been stuck with the support and the cost of the attorney may have been less than the $10K you have had to pay out.

May 9, 2014, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    It certainly looks like it. But I'm still unclear on something. Were you at the original hearing where support was awarded? Because if you were and you denied paternity and denied signing an acknowledgement of paternity and a DNA test was not performed, then something was not right with the award. You might be able to do something based on that.

But the only way you will know is by consulting a local Family Law attorney. I'm assuming you did not do so initially. Had you been represented at the original hearing you might not have been stuck with the support and the cost of the attorney may have been less than the $10K you have had to pay out.
    At the time of the hearing I told the judge that I did not sign the birth certificate the judge said well I don't think it's nothing we can do about that now. And then from there he proceeded to tell me I am responsible for the retroactive support but they terminated all current support there was no recurring support... I never consulted an attorney at the time because I figured everything would go in my favor.I was told I can file a civil lawsuit and not a small claims lawsuit because the amount is over $5,000... So I think consulting an attorney would be my best option if any at all
    And not to mention My name is STILL ON THAT Child's birth certificate.. .
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 9, 2014, 06:24 AM
    OVER $10K DOLLARS??
    The case holds that an action to disestablish paternity under section 742.18 doesn't include a retroactive modification of child support paid or adjudged.

Although I see nothing in the opinion suggesting that you cannot sue under another statute or court rule (such as Florida Rule of Civil Procedure 1.540(b), quoted above by GV70) to recover what you paid in the past.

But, in short, yes, you probably are.

May 9, 2014, 06:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    The case holds that an action to disestablish paternity under section 742.18 doesn't include a retroactive modification of child support paid or adjudged.

Although I see nothing in the opinion suggesting that you cannot sue under another statute or court rule to recover what you paid in the past, such a suit would appear to be barred by the doctrine of res judicata.
    Okay so what exactly are you saying in this situation??
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 9, 2014, 06:32 AM
    Okay so what exactly are you saying in this situation??
    What's done is done.

May 9, 2014, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    What's done is done.
    Sighs...
    Okay thank You for the advice..

May 9, 2014, 06:50 AM
    At the time of the hearing I told the judge that I did not sign the birth certificate the judge said well I don't think it's nothing we can do about that now. And then from there he proceeded to tell me I am responsible for the retroactive support but they terminated all current support there was no recurring support...
    From what I quoted above it does NOT sound like the original support hearing. That's what I'm trying to get at. Based on what GV70 posted, the judge was right. He could do nothing about support owed, but could terminate the support award for future support. What I'm trying to get at was whether this was the only hearing. If not when was support originally ordered. Or was support ordered retroactively at this one hearing? If so how far back did they go?

May 9, 2014, 06:54 AM
    From what I quoted above it does NOT sound like the original support hearing. That's what I'm trying to get at. Based on what GV70 posted, the judge was right. He could do nothing about support owed, but could terminate the support award for future support. What I'm trying to get at was whether this was the only hearing. If not when was support originally ordered. Or was support ordered retroactively at this one hearing? If so how far back did they go?
    Yes everything was done at this one hearing..
    She opened the case in 2007 but they didn't get to it until 2011 they went back as far as 2007 because she was receiving government benefits

May 9, 2014, 07:25 AM
    Yes everything was done at this one hearing..
    She opened the case in 2007 but they didn't get to it until 2011 they went back as far as 2007 because she was receiving government benefits
    Ahh now it makes more sense. I suspect, if you had representation, that you could have gotten it quashed before it got to a hearing. And, again, even if you do win a lawsuit, I'm not sure how you are going to collect it.
    Family Law Expert

May 9, 2014, 10:45 AM
    Ahh now it makes more sense
    I cannot agree more

May 9, 2014, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70 View Post
    I cannot agree more
    So what do you guys recmnd I do?

May 9, 2014, 01:41 PM
    So what do you guys recmnd I do?

Consult an attorney

May 9, 2014, 02:06 PM
    Consult an attorney
    Okay thank you very much will do would you guys happen to have any links you can share with me to find an attorney I am in Miami Florida
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 9, 2014, 05:26 PM
    Okay thank you very much will do would you guys happen to have any links you can share with me to find an attorney I am in Miami Florida

You can try this link and check with them. We arent allowed to give out an individuals name here.

The Florida Bar HOME PAGE FLABAR ONLINE

They have a free refferal service.

May 9, 2014, 05:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    You can try this link and check with them. We arent allowed to give out an individuals name here.

The Florida Bar HOME PAGE FLABAR ONLINE

They have a free refferal service.
    Thank you all

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will my child support for my child be cut if my child receives a benifiary ssi check [ 2 Answers ]

I am receiving child support for my daughter, her father has recently been approved for ssi disability in Tennessee.he has signed her up for benefits also will my child support be takenm away if she gets a check also from his disability?

Can child support levy a bank account if you are paying child support weekly [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriends name is on my checking acct. He also has his own account. He is paying weekly child's support from his pay check to the state of NH by court order. Massachusetts child support put a levy on all of my account and all of his account. None of the money ($1669.90) in my account was his. I...

I don't pay child support to mother, but I support my child.. [ 5 Answers ]

I don't pay child support, but I support my child financially.. Example, school materials, clothes, food, active bank account,personal materials, could I still get in trouble with legal issues?

I owe back child support, will child support garnish the whole tax return? [ 3 Answers ]

Will child support garnish the whole tax return?

Can my sons father get out of child support, or back child support? [ 2 Answers ]

The paternity was established for my son at 6 months of age.. will the father have to pay the past 6 months?

View more questions Search