Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    psboland Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2014, 05:33 PM
    Hollow wounds in maple tree
    Our beautiful backyard tree had two large limbs removed... one probably 5-8 years ago and another about 2 years ago. The larger limb area is at least an 18 inch cut. The tree materials inside that cut iare rotting and you can pick out the "flesh". A smaller limb was cut a few years ago... now it is hollow with a family of squirrels living inside. Both times the tree service said they no longer use tar to cover the wound. The tree is very much alive, but I'm concerned about the safely and life of the tree. I also was told that there are carpenter ants living inside as well.
    sofarsogood Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2015, 10:48 AM
    No, we don't use tar anymore. Didn't do anything good. Now, we make sure the cut is clean and only an inch or 2 from where the limb/branch emerges. The tree heals the living tissue with food flowing down from the uncut limb/branches. The inner, dead wood, is not healed or protected. It will eventually rot and be removed by squirrels, carpenter ants, etc. It's loss will slightly weaken the support strength of the tree trunk, but that will take many years.
    As a new shoot grows, it makes a tube all the way to the end of a new root. Half of this tube is a straw, sucking nutrients from the roots as the water evaporates from the leaf. It is a physical, wooden structure. The other half is live tissue, sending manufactured food and energy from the leaves to the roots (they need food and energy, too, and are definitely not green or exposed to sunlight).
    All this is in the trunk near the outside, outside of the sealed wound. If you do not disturb the seal (callous, think of it as a scab), all will be well. If you start seeing cracks radiating up or down from the healed wound, with or without gum, you should call someone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to repair hollow trunk caused by old age in an apple tree still producing fruit? [ 0 Answers ]

How to repair hollow trunk of an apple tree still producing friut?

After a large maple tree limb was removed to the tree, the area is rotting. Is it OK [ 3 Answers ]

We have a large beautiful maple tree in the center of our back yard. Several years ago the local power came through and cut one of the large limbs close to the power line clear to the tree itself. Since then in the years since, the spot has rotted and is not receding into the tree mostly because...

Oak tree hollow trunk & limb repair [ 2 Answers ]

I have several Oak trees with a hollow spot that might cause it to break and fall. These trees are in an area around my house that are key locations one being the main shade over my deck. Removal is going to be my last resort. Has anyone had success repiring a problem like this? Thanks.

Maple tree's [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not quite sure if this question would fall under this category but here it is. Do Maple Moths harm Maple tree's. Sorry if this is a stupide question or if this is the wrong category.:o Thanks to all who answer in advance.

Maple Tree ? [ 3 Answers ]

There is a red and a yellow maple tree? They are green all summer. The red one has bright red leaves in the fall and the yellow one is bright yellow in the fall. In the spring they have buds all over the tree the red is bright red buds and the yellow is bright yellow buds! I don't know the correct...

View more questions Search