Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DisgruntledDad Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2014, 04:04 PM
    My Son Lives Right Next Door To Me And Doesn't Know Who I Am...
    I have a son that's about to turn 16 years old this year, from my past relationship. I've never been allowed to see him (I don't know why). He's currently not in the custody of his mother and is being taken care of by another man. I've known about my son since before the day he was born, and I've wanted to be a part of his life since then. Just yesterday, I found out that he and his mother's current husband moved LITERALLY right next door to me.

Since finding out, I've not been able to stop looking out of my living room window. I've wanted to be a part of his life for years and I've never gotten that chance. Right now, at this distance, it's incredibly painful for me to stomach. I want him to know that he has a father that loves and cares for him. He's 15!! I've missed so much time with him, and I absolutely do not want that to continue. Please, I need some advice. I can't go on like this.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2014, 04:08 PM
    Have you been paying child support all these years?

Had there ever been a DNA test to prove he's yours? And a court hearing for custody/support?

May 2, 2014, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Have you been paying child support all these years?

Had there ever been a DNA test to prove he's yours? And a court hearing for custody/support?
    I was never asked to pay child support, and there's no need for a DNA test. Both the mother and I know that he is, in fact, my son.

She has been keeping him from me all these years without a justifiable reason.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2014, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledDad View Post
    She has been keeping him from me all these years without a justifiable reason.
    You haven't taken her to court and arranged for joint or some kind of shared custody? And you've had no interest in paying support?

May 2, 2014, 04:21 PM
    You haven't taken her to court and arranged for joint or some kind of shared custody? And you've had no interest in paying support?
    Child support had been discussed around the time that he'd first been born but was taken care of by her wealthy parents. She moved away shortly after, had no idea where she was, what she was doing. Nothing. Now this happens.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 2, 2014, 04:53 PM
    I think you wait and see what the real deal is before you go blundering into an unknown strange situation. You have made no moves for 15 years and shouldn't now until more is revealed. I doubt this is a coincidence, moving next door, but don't panic yet. Stay cool, but pay attention, and be alert.

Are you married, and have kids?

May 2, 2014, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I think you wait and see what the real deal is before you go blundering into an unknown strange situation. You have made no moves for 15 years and shouldn't now until more is revealed. I doubt this is a coincidence, moving next door, but don't panic yet. Stay cool, but pay attention, and be alert.

Are you married, and have kids?
    I'm divorced, in a serious relationship and I have two children from my ex wife. We split custody. I get them almost every single day from school and I pay child support. My inclination is to be visible. Not to pressure, but to be where I can be seen, playing with my other kids. I think in time, that will invite conversation sooner or later.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2014, 05:04 PM
    Sorry, no, it is a load of bull. You let mother tell you what to do, for 15 years.

When child was one, or two, or 6... you go to court and ask for visitation and prove child is yours with DNA test.

You do not sit at window and stalk...

And you do not discuss child support, you pay, if the child is yours, to the court. After you do custody paper work.

You were happy all those years, not paying and not seeing.

May 2, 2014, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Sorry, no, it is a load of bull. You let mother tell you what to do, for 15 years.

When child was one, or two, or 6... you go to court and ask for visitation and prove child is yours with DNA test.

You do not sit at window and stalk...

And you do not discuss child support, you pay, if the child is yours, to the court. After you do custody paper work.

You were happy all those years, not paying and not seeing.
    Clearly, you don't read well. They were gone. They disappeared. I had no forwarding address. I had no way of knowing where they are. Maybe you should learn a lesson in tact before addressing me that way. The fact of the matter is, I didn't know whether they were in Alaska, South Carolina, Illinois, Texas, Oregon or any other state. I came on here to get sound advice. Not to be judged by someone who knows nothing of the subject and furthermore, doesn't bother to read what's written. Dismissed.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2014, 05:15 PM
    Clearly, you don't read well. They were gone. They disappeared. I had no forwarding address. I had no way of knowing where they are.
    Her wealthy parents didn't know where she was? There ARE ways to find someone.

And I totally agree with Chuck. In fact, how do you know so much about this guy's marriage and separation (?) or even if this boy is really yours?

May 2, 2014, 05:21 PM
    Her wealthy parents didn't know where she was? There ARE ways to find someone.

And I totally agree with Chuck. In fact, how do you know so much about this guy's marriage and separation (?) or even if this boy is really yours?
    Her father passed away and I had no contact information for the mother. She was also not around. Whose marriage and separation are you talking about? I said I was previously married. The boy is mine. I was told that in the beginning, I was there when he was born, the kid looks like me, and she has always admitted he is mine. Even to her ex-husband. I have found out quite a bit of information in the last two days about their whereabouts and what's been going on in their lives. Before that, maybe a message out of the blue every 5 years or so, then gone.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2014, 05:35 PM
    The boy is mine. I was told that in the beginning, I was there when he was born, the kid looks like me, and she has always admitted he is mine. Even to her ex-husband.
    A DNA test would still be in order. I look like all sorts of people who aren't my parents. So you have been totally helpless in trying to track her and the boy down all these years? Why does this man have custody -- and where is the mother? How do you know what you do about your neighbors?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 2, 2014, 06:18 PM
    .. How do you know what you do about your neighbors?
    Good question.

Another one: why have they suddenly moved next door to OP. Much more than a coincidence, I think.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2014, 06:32 PM
    If you were there when the child was born is your name listed on the child's birth certificate? Is there a reason you didn't get a court order for visitation right after he was born? That is something the judge will want to know if you decide you want to go to court over this matter.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 2, 2014, 06:44 PM
    So you have solid proof that your son is next door? I'm not hearing exactly how you know. First his mother disappeared totally; now she popped back in every 5 years or so, and you are 'finding out' - what exactly?

(Forgive us but we do get both trolls and delusional people, and it felt like you were staring out the window at some random kid who looks like you, that's all.)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 3, 2014, 02:22 AM
    This has creepy written all over it. OP has to step back and really give this some thought. He probably hasn't gone unnoticed by his new neighbours as being too intent on their daily routines.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 3, 2014, 04:19 AM
    If this man is not on the birth certificate, and if this man is not on a custody order, from the courts, he may (or may not) be a biological parent, but he is just that. He has no legal rights to this boy and needs to first , go though a third party and contact the boys (parents) or (guardian) it may be this man, either adopted the boy, or even listed on birth certificate.

If this is the case, then that man is the legal father, and you are really nothing. With no legal rights.

Your first step, would be to use a neutral third party to contact and find out the facts.
    Expert

May 3, 2014, 05:14 AM
    Hopefully the adults work this out before they totally screw up the lives of two families with impulsive useless drama.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 3, 2014, 06:17 AM
    I agree with Chuck. I really don't see that you did very much to find them. I don't see you did very much to enforce your parental rights. People don't completely disappear, especially wealthy people. A good PI would have found them. Also, its very possible that the boy was adopted. Illegally, since you weren't informed, but at this late date it is unlikely to be overturned.

And you don't know the child is yours. Unless you were with the mother every second of every day during the period the child was conceived you can't know for sure.

The bottom line is you need to go to court to enforce your rights. Until you do that, you have no rights. Any move you make until you do that could get you in trouble.
    Expert

May 3, 2014, 06:42 AM
    Does your girlfriend even know your baby mama has moved next door with your child? Another can of worms yet to be opened? After 15 years there are too many hidden motives and agendas, to take any actions at this time.

Chances are great that she had no knowledge of you living there but who can know at this point. Whose house is it you are living in?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My son lives with someone who has no custody papers can I go get him [ 7 Answers ]

The mother of my son when I wasn't able to be around gave my son to my aunt by marriage and its been 2yrs since she had him I didn't agree to any of that am I able to just go over there and get my son mind you I have had contact with my son but the person just refuses to give him to me

I have a 25 year old son who lives at home. [ 2 Answers ]

He don't pay anything.. Don't clean up after his self treats everyone like crap. He acts liken everyone owes him.. I now I have caused allot of this. But I just can't do this anymore. What can I do. The police told me that they can't put him out..

Garage door remote doesn't close door in colder weather [ 1 Answers ]

My garage door remote works fine when the weather is warm, however, if it gets below 60degrees, it won't close (no problems with opening it). When this happens, the only way to close it is to hold down the manual garage door opener continually until it's completely closed (otherwise it'll start...

We split and her best friend lives next door [ 1 Answers ]

I had been hooking up with this girl for 2 weeks and we started to get a little more into it. She has been horribly traumatized by a guy in the past and when she started to feel like she really liked me, she decided that I could potentially hurt her. She told me she doesn't want to hook up...

I need my son's father out of our lives. [ 3 Answers ]

I need information on how to terminate the rights of my son's father. Since my son was born he has been in and out of prison at least five times. He has a bad temper and violent tendencies. I need to make sure that my son and I are both safe and happy. How do I go about getting started on getting...

View more questions Search