Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bright Star Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2014, 03:10 PM
    How do I know where my deceased father had a 401k
    My dad passed away a few years ago. He used to say that when he lived in a different city he had a 401k there (he wasn't with us then), however I don't know who was his employer. I tried asking IRS and SSA and they won't help... How can I go about finding out where he worked backed in the early 80's?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2014, 03:58 PM
    Maybe (?), a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to IRS and/or SSA, or similar request to the State Income Tax division (called Public Information Act (PIA) in some states.
    These agencies have umpteen pages of requirements and hoops to jump through. No guarantees.
    SSA's FOIA policies: Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) at Social Security
    Also, watch the state comptroller's office website for notice of abandoned funds which will likely take 3 or more years to show up.
    No guarantee.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 3, 2014, 02:28 PM
    Have you talked to whomever was the executor of your father's estate to see whether this was investigated, or whether he or she went through your father's financial papers to make sure all accounts were properly accounted for?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 3, 2014, 04:55 PM
    If he had a 401, they should have been sending at least yearly statements. Who was checking his mail, for the year after his death, where is his prior years tax papers, it should be listed.?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step father financial responsibility? --biological father deceased [ 3 Answers ]

Does my husband have grounds to include my children from a previous relationship on an application to csa? He has a child from a previous marriage, has no contact but pays csa. The child lives overseas. We married and I had 2 children already. Their father is deceased. I receive no financial...

How to add my deceased fathers biological deceased father to his birth certificate. [ 1 Answers ]

How do I add my deceased fathers biological deceased father to his birth certificate his mom put her boyfriends name on it and I need to prove my native American heritage and my dads biological father was native American.

How do to I find out if my deceased father had a 401K OR any retirement entitlements [ 2 Answers ]

How do to I find out if my deceased father had a 401K. I don't have his place of work but I do have his ss#.

How can I find my deceased father's 401k money? [ 2 Answers ]

My father passed away October 4, 2010. My Aunt Susan his sister, has let me know that he had a 401k. My father has never paid child support, and was not there for me ever. My question to you is am I entitled to his 401k? I know his ssn# His name is also on my birth certicicate. If there is...

Bio father is deceased. Father listed fled. Husband wants his name put on & to adpt [ 4 Answers ]

"I was 5 months pregnant when I met a man (obviously not the father), and started dating him. He wanted to marry me & raise the baby as it were his own. I married him right before the baby was born. The bio father wanted nothing to do with either of us and came to find out that he had another baby...

View more questions Search