Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CBshann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2014, 04:00 PM
    Failure to Yield
    I was driving down a road on a clear day and I could see that there was a police vehicle with its lights on around a mile to a mile and a half ahead of me. The police car was sitting by itself on the side of the road with it's lights on. The police officer was not outside of his car. I was pulled over and given a citation because I did not yield or move to the next lane.
    I have never failed to yield and I did not realize that by not moving over that was a failure to yield violation. This happened in Adams county Colorado. I would like to fight this because it seems so ridiculous. I did not and would not fail to move over when there is an emergency vehicle going somewhere. Because the police car was just sitting there, it feel like I am be shaken down for this officers bad humor.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 1, 2014, 04:09 PM
    Most states (maybe even all) have laws on the books REQUIRING everyone to move over one lane where one exists or significantly slow down when one doesn't when police or emergency vehicles are on the shoulder. That's because so many people have been hit and injured and killed by people wizzing by inches away.

Good luck trying to fight it... but I think you have a zero percent chance of winning however.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2014, 04:15 PM
    Don't know about Colorado but in the states on the east coast where "Move Over" laws have been enacted your failure to move into the next lane, in the situation you have described would be a definite violation.
    Many officers are struck getting out of the cruiser. The fact that the officer was not out of the car (he could have been about to get out as far as you know) has no bearing on the violation.
    Check the wording of the specific law in Colorado to be totally accurate, but sounds like a clear violation to me.
    Most states have a provision that if it is not safe to move to the next lane, the driver is to slow down and drive past as safely as possible.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 1, 2014, 05:34 PM
    This has a copy of the Colorado Move Over Law: Move Over Laws - Protect Those Who Protect You

It was originally implemented in 2005. It also covers tow trucks.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 1, 2014, 05:36 PM
    Well that makes it a slam dunk then... you actually have ZERO chance of winning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Failure to Yield [ 5 Answers ]

I just received a Failure to Yield Right of Way ticket in Huntsville, Al. The policeman pulled me over and told me that I had pulled out in front of a car. He asked me where what building did I pull out of and I said I had just a company and gave him the name. I told him that turn right out of...

Should I Just Pay Failure to yield right of way? [ 9 Answers ]

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Texas Im 19. My court date is in two days and its my first time ever going to court or getting a ticket. I'm extremely nervous because I have no experience with the law. I don't know what pleading guilty means or fight a ticket means. If I...

Failure to yield ticket? [ 18 Answers ]

My son was issued a failure to yield ticket when he turned left on a green light. The oncoming car began to speed up (it was on a curve) and proceeded to honk at my son. There was no accident and my son continued his direction; however, he was pulled over a few moments later and given a failure...

Failure-to-Yield Ticket [ 4 Answers ]

I was recently in a car accident. I was approaching an intersection and I had a yield sign. There were two cars parked on the right side of the corner I was approaching. The car closest to the intersection was parked very close to the corner, blocking my view. I yielded from the point of the yield...

Failure to yield ticket [ 4 Answers ]

I was involued in a car accident a little less than a month ago. I had just dropped my daughter off at work and preceded to pull out the building where there is incoming traffic. There is two lanes going west and two going east. I stopped looked to my left seen no cars. Looked to my right seen...

View more questions Search