Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

May 1, 2014, 01:08 PM
    WiFi Radio?
    Purchased a New WiFi Radio and I am trying to listen to Streaming Audio but it is dropping signal frequently. Why? Is it fluxuation of the signal coming from my router? I also have problems with my laptop losing signal. Both laptop and WiFi radio are very close to the router and by changing stations does not help.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 1, 2014, 01:09 PM
    Reboot your router, as this is often the source of the problem.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 1, 2014, 01:12 PM
    Or, it could be time to replace the router. I had a router that would keep dropping the signal. Took a while to narrow it down but I eventually replaced it and that solved everything.

May 1, 2014, 03:21 PM
    I ran a little test by taking the WiFi Radio into the room with the Router and also the Laptop. The results were very positive, the Laptop signal strenth meter gave me 5 strong bars. The WiFi Radio has not dropped a signal in 1/2 hour. Usually my laptop shows me a signal strenth of like 1 and up to 3 and all around in between. So a trip to the Router store for an exchange, as I am renting it. Both units are normally about 25 feet from the router.The wall that the signal has to go thru is wood paneling. Pay to much to putup with shoddy service.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 1, 2014, 04:02 PM
    Depending on the type of Router.. (meaning if the antenna are external and detatchable) you can buy higher gain antennas and even amplified antennas. They come with fairly wimpy 3db gain antennas... I have a pair of 18db gain antennas and it boosts my signal strength everywhere in my house significantly... upstairs and downstairs both. I have 4 devices I use wireless for ( two are tablets)....most of my other computers and servers (10 of those) are 1000baseT wired ethernet.

May 1, 2014, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Depending on the type of Router.. (meaning if the antenna are external and detatchable) you can buy higher gain antennas and even amplified antennas. They come with fairly wimpy 3db gain antennas... I have a pair of 18db gain antennas and it boosts my signal strength everywhere in my house significantly... upstairs and downstairs both. I have 4 devices I use wireless for ( two are tablets)....most of my other computers and servers (10 of those) are 1000baseT wired ethernet.
    No visible antenna, so I guess the replacement will be more of the same. Will look into a higher gain antenna. Thanks. If I am lucky they may have a better router.
    Uber Member

May 1, 2014, 06:09 PM
    Unless you have an external antenna... you are stuck with what they give you. I'm lucky enough to have one with Wireless N , two external antenna and gigabit ports. Had to buy it off the provider, and it has to be one of theirs for the Cable TV to function, but I'm happy with it.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 1, 2014, 06:43 PM
    Even with an internal antenna, that doesn't sound right. There might be something wrong with the router.
    Uber Member

May 1, 2014, 07:40 PM
    If its WIreless N... actually it sounds about right... Its faster than G but it's a lot more prone to attenuation from walls and floors. And you'd need more power to push through them and retain good signal levels.

May 1, 2014, 09:37 PM
    Was wondering if I could take the original router (property of internet server) output it to one of the routers I have? Have a "G" D-Link Router with External Antenna and a "N"
    Net Gear Wireless Router. Just a thought, if it would be possible to use what I already have. Not sure if the connections are there to do this?
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 04:41 AM
    Yes... you would configure the providers router as a bridge. Your router would function as a router Yes that's going to get a bit technical, maybe even confusing. I've never actually done it (only read about it)... but there are other people reading this I'm sure that have.
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 05:54 AM
    Had some thoughts on this... what I would do... disable the radio in their router, configure it as a bridge (some others may help you with doing that) use a CAT6 lan cable to your router (to maximize your bandwidth availible) and use your router as a router. If you decide to go that route.

May 2, 2014, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Had some thoughts on this... what I would do... disable the radio in their router, configure it as a bridge (some others may help you with doing that) use a CAT6 lan cable to your router (to maximize your bandwidth availible) and use your router as a router. If you decide to go that route.
    Picked up a new, different manufacturer, router from SVS Provider. It seems to have fixed the problem I was having. Strong, 4 and 5 bars on laptop and Wifi has not dropped a signal in 3.5 hours. Thanks
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 06:56 PM
    Great.. glad that's all it took to correct it for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free radio unlock code for 2002 toyota sienna radio # 16814 [ 1 Answers ]

Need radio code for 2002 toyota sienna vin 4T3ZF13C22U456369 radio 16814

How can I find south african radio stations on my roberts world band radio? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I play South African radio stations on my Roberts r9962 world band radio? It say it's good for BBC radio and around the world but I can't find a South African radio station Thanks

How to reset my honda radio after changing batteries, & its blank on the radio screen [ 2 Answers ]

How to entering the radio code after replacing batteries on Honda Civic 2002 VTi, while the radio screen is empty ( blank )?

Wifi vs Wireless and AT&T's Free Wifi Service [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Everyone! I'm computer illiterate, and have a few questions. Please feel free to explain the most basic details. :) One, is wifi the same as a home wireless internet connection? If I disable Wireless Zero Configuration, could someone still utilize my free public wifi service at hotspots? ...

View more questions Search