Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apples Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2014, 12:18 PM
    Getting a dealer price quote for new car and options
    I got the lowest price for a new car basic standard options no extra options.
    So I spoke to dealership near me to see if they would match the price and they accepted. They said the car already had a blind spot monitor installed which they would let me have the car for the same price.
    Now that I have price quote, can I negotiate to have the mats left off for another $400 reduced on car or what are my options at this point?
    The monitor was priced at $500.
    Thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 1, 2014, 12:28 PM
    Of course you can negotiate. ANY car is negotiable. Whether or not they will accept your offer is totally up to each dealer. There are many factors that go into such a decision.
    Be careful though. Even a dealer used to this has a point at which he says enough is enough, and you they may 'get you' if you ever walk in there for service or parts. So say something like 'Gee I didn't really notice that floor mats are $400 blah blah.'
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 1, 2014, 12:35 PM
    I agree... You can easily be one negotiation from having that offer revoked and shown the door. That's the risk you take when negotiating anything. THey get to set the price they will sell at... and you get to decide what price you are willing to buy at. If you don't come to an agreement... then no sale occurs.

THe next person in the door might buy that car for more than they were going to sell it to you for.....they don't HAVE to sell it for less than they want or at a price where they lose money.

THe art of successful negotiation is being able to in clear concience walk away at any point during the negotiation process. If at any point you HAVE to have that car....they gain the upper hand.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 1, 2014, 12:42 PM
    Honestly, people that do that drive me crazy. I sell used cars but I still get the same thing going on...I have no problem with people trying to negotiate a price because everyone does it...but when someone comes in, hammers me down to a price that I agree on and then they turn around and want me to throw something else in or take money off for something else...forget it. Negotiate first and once it's settled either buy the car or don't. That's how I see it and I have turned plenty of people away because of this. People seem to think that there is a fortune in selling cars...just because a car is priced at thousands of dollars doesn't mean that is what the dealer gets...they still have to pay for that car and anything that went into it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need advice on how to haggle with a car dealer. I am looking to buy a new car... [ 4 Answers ]

I need advice on how to haggle with a car dealer. I am looking to buy a new car and I would like some hints/pointers on how to get the best deal possible. Please help!

Dealer Titled Car and Registered car to me withou Financing [ 0 Answers ]

I purchased a car about 35 days ago only to find out now that the dealer never submitted any paper work to the bank. I had my own financing when I went in all I had to do was sign the Blank Bank check. The dealer titled the car to me and gave me the Hard license plate and registration before I left...

I purchase a car from private car dealer, they relase pink slip, can they reposes car [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a car last year juy 2009 for 7,800.00 in CA. paid 3,550.00 cash and ended with balance of 4,250.00 NOTE: on contract there was no due day or payoff day- is blank, I have pay them 3,500 as of today, I am currently unemployd and I pay dealership any amout that is posible. Also a month...

Can dealer take car back after your tags are on the car [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a new car and put insurance on it and the dealer put the tag from my trade in on the new car. 7 days later they called me and told me to turn the car in or produce financial pappers to get a new loan. By the way no financial proof was asked for to get the first loan. I thought this was a...

Sold my car to a car dealer Now He won't pay [ 3 Answers ]

I'm very fustrated... I bought a used car from my boyfriends friend I gave 5000 as down payment a finished to pay the car in less then the agreed time... I had to go out of the country for an emergency and that is why I paid of the car before the estimated time... I traded in my old car gave him a...

View more questions Search