Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ctrgwh57 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Vested money
    How do I obtained money vested in companies I haven't worked for in over 25 years
    Will I be notified by the company around my retirement age letting me know I have
    Money vested or do I have to contact the companies
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Do you mean you bought shares in companies you worked for over 25 years ago? To my way of thinking the shares are still yours, but did you get actual numbered share copies ? I would suggest calling someone at those companies. Maybe your interest has been revoked because of a time lapse.
    misc1234us Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 02:44 PM
    I think you probably have some money (either in the form of shares in stock or mutual fund or perhaps as cash) stashed away in a company managed retirement account.

If I were you, I would find details about these securities I hold - for example, I would find details about how many shares of a stock or mutual fund I hold in XYZ company's retirement account. I would then go to fidelity.com or vanguard.com (or any other online brokerage) and open a roll-over IRA and roll over funds/shares from these retirement accounts to this roll-over IRA. Once you have all these bits and pieces of vested amounts pooled up into this one roll-over IRA, you should have no concerns.

How your vested amounts are treated by these companies varies from plan to plan. There could be plans where they maintain your account till your retirement and then inform you (although I highly doubt this would be the case) but there could be companies where they liquidate your funds and post you a check after deducting all penalties. I know of companies that give their employees 90 days to roll these funds over or they send you a check.

So you would need to call the HR from these companies and ask who they do their retirement plans with. You should then contact the retirement plan maintenance company and find out the company policy - this way you would probably make the best use of your time and not end up explaining your scenario to a bunch of folks at the companies you worked for in the past.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get my money? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in GA and received a judgement a few years back. According to the instructions on the judgement, I am entitled to the judgement plus interest but how do I go about getting it? The defendant has property which is not being used (with an abandoned trailer,old car, and other meaningless junk on...

Money [ 4 Answers ]

How do I get money? Since I do not any?

Money is there any? [ 1 Answers ]

Want to see the Federal Reserve bank president of New York admit that there is no "money"? On June 12th watch the Travel channel and see for yourself! Get your VCRs, Tivo, and all other recording devices ready!! ...

Vested amount [ 1 Answers ]

Friends, just need some clarification on some financial speak. What is vested amount in reference to a balance on a 401K statement? Thanks?

Money [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 23 years old I live in the countryside in South Australia, I have a girlfriend that I have been seeing for a year and 8 months I really want to win some money to get a house together, I would like to know if I will win a lot or some money to buy a house in the near future if you could tell...

View more questions Search