Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krenl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2014, 04:51 PM
    What is this insect?
    I've lived in the Houston, TX area for 25 years and have never seen this insect, which has been popping up inside my house a lot this month. Does anyone know what it is? It looks like a type of June bug - but not exactly. It has a beautiful pale green exoskeleton that is very, very hard. It likes to play dead too.
    Attached Images

Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 30, 2014, 06:01 PM
    Looks like a scarab of some type, but you're right, it isn't a June bug. Do all the ones you've found have the brown coloration on the head?

Edit: Likely a Chafer Beetle.

Apr 30, 2014, 06:11 PM
    Yes - they all have the brown heads. A scarab, really?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 30, 2014, 06:13 PM
    Scarab beetles is a group, not a type.

Apr 30, 2014, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Scarab beetles is a group, not a type.
    Thank you - they do look similar to jewel scarabs except their bodies are less rounded. They are very slow-moving too.
    Locrian_44 Posts: 44, Reputation: 14

May 4, 2014, 04:02 PM
    Phylum Arthropoda, Class Insecta, Order Coleoptera, Family Curculionidae. Members of the family are commonly called weevils. Google image search

It might be Compsus auricephalus, the golden-headed weevil

May 5, 2014, 09:13 AM
    Thanks so much Locrian 44 - I do appreciate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insect spray that is safe around wells and septic tanks. The insect look like maggots [ 1 Answers ]

My sister has small white insects around the base of her house that look like maggots. She has a septic tank and well and I'm afraid I don't know what best to use to kill them, Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Biting flying insect that seems to be more of a sting Invisible flying insect [ 11 Answers ]

This invisible flying insect has bitten me for several years. It is active more in the dark hours or not a too well lighted area. It is very active around my bed and under the covers. This insect bites me in other location other than in my house. It bites me mostly out of my eye sight alignment...

What insect is this? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, can someone tell me what is this insect? http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h397/Melo73/photo.jpg I found this cast skin inside an old wooden table and a few poppy seed looking hard things on the floor (maybe eggs?). Please help, I'm worried I have an infestation. Thanks!

Insect [ 5 Answers ]

I see. Well if you're interested, the question was: What is this small (2.5 mm) insect, tan/gray, dust/pollen-like camouflage? And the answer is: The nymph of the masked hunter bug, Species Reduvius personatus - Masked Hunter - BugGuide.Net This is where I found the answer: Entomology...

Insect help! [ 2 Answers ]

Why did insects never evolve (or grow) to sizes more than about 10 to 12 inches long (and, even more strictly no more than an inch or two in diameter)?

View more questions Search