Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tnpepin Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2014, 03:19 PM
    Iowa post-secondary support code
    My daughters are 23 (this month) and 22 (23 next April 2015). My ex-wife is a paralegal and has stated that Iowa code extended to the age of 23 (ie through their 22nd year). Is this true? I cannot find the case that supports this statement.

Second, in the post-secondary order it says the support stops when the child is no longer eligible (ie. On their 22/23 birthday); however, my ex-wife is saying I have to pay throughout the rest of this year... Is this true? I cannot find, nor did she cite, the code that supports this statement.

Since they turn 23 in April, my last payment should be in April correct?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2014, 04:07 PM
    You need to go back and look at your original court order. The one that you got directly (probably via mail) from the court when the order was made. Are they still in college/living with her?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 30, 2014, 05:40 PM
    Ask your wife to cite the code that she is claiming supports her statements.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 1, 2014, 09:17 AM
    If the Iowa code has been so amended, it would not change the support order entered prior to the date of amendment. As your ex-wife paralegal if she has ever heard of ex post facto laws.

(Sorry, I intended to link the whole phrase, but somehow missed "ex". I don't know how to fix it now. :)).

Since they turn 23 in April, my last payment should be in April correct?
    I would think so.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 1, 2014, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    If the Iowa code has been so amended, it would not change the support order entered prior to the date of amendment. As your ex-wife paralegal if she has ever heard of ex post facto laws.

(Sorry, I intended to link the whole phrase, but somehow missed "ex". I don't know how to fix it now. :)).

I would think so.

Link still works and confirmed.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 6, 2014, 01:59 PM
    Iowa Code § 598.1(8), §598.1(9), and §598.21f provide that "support" means an obligation which may include support for a child who is between the ages of 18 and 22 who is regularly attending an accredited school or is, in good faith, a full time student in college or has been accepted for admission to college for the next term.
    Termination of Support-College Support Beyond the Age of Majority

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the max child support for two children they can take in Iowa [ 1 Answers ]

What is the maximum percentage of my income that the state of Iowa can take for two children with separate mothers

Deciding post secondary? [ 0 Answers ]

For anyon who lives in the Canada area, I can't decide whether to apply at university if saskatchewAn or university of Regina. U of s requires prerequisites for many courses. And many years it seems. I want to be a dentist. U of s is non direct entry for that program. But u of r is direct...

What does Iowa Code law 598.21 (1997) mean [ 11 Answers ]

What does Iowa Code law 598.21 (1997) mean.

Child support Iowa for parent that has a job and the other don't [ 5 Answers ]

We were together for @10 years and had a 81/2 year old boy when we brokeup (he cheated on me with 3 women that I nknow of ), he is behind in chlid support of @3700 and he was working he got in a accident when he was driving for work and he was getting workmen cop and when that ran out he didn't go...

View more questions Search