Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

Apr 4, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Not losing weight
    I have a problem, I am NOT losing wieght. I have been eating aroudn 1200 calories a day for over two months. I am NOT cheating or forgetting to count anything that goes into my mouth. I have started weight training 3 days a week and I am on my 7th week. I thought I had finally lost 3 pounds to get on the scales and see that I am back up again. Yes, I do weigh myself everyday. I am a female 5'3" and I weight 150 pounds I need to get this weight off. Why is 1200 calories and sometimes less not working??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 08:42 AM
    What other exercise are you doing besides weight training ( buidling up muscles) walking, running, swimming, arobics, you need to increase your over all exercise probram.
    -

Apr 4, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tessy777
    I have a problem, I am NOT losing wieght. I have been eating aroudn 1200 calories a day for over two months. I am NOT cheating or forgetting to count anything that goes into my mouth. I have started weight training 3 days a week and I am on my 7th week. I thought I had finally lost 3 pounds to get on the scales and see that I am back up again. Yes, I do weigh myself everyday. I am a female 5'3" and I weight 150 pounds I need to get this weight off. Why is 1200 calories and sometimes less not working????
    No, I'm not walking everyday or anything else... but you would think 1000 to 1200 calories a day along with weight training might be good for at least a pound a week. Geesh
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2007, 09:25 AM
    Now you need to go over what these 1200 calories are. Is the food your eating foods like fruits, (2-4 servings per day) and veggies, (3-5 servings per day).. How about meat choices, lean meats, like skinless chicken, (baked or broiled) turkey breast, fish, (not fried), and lean, loin type red/white meats? Are you cooking them with olive, or canola oils? After really thinking about this, we need to go over how much... The serving size for meat is 3 ounces, about the size of an open palm. Are you eating any processed foods? Sugary snacks or salty ones, like chips? Are you eating 100% grain breads, rice- (Wheat), pasta, and whole wheat type breads? Cutting out white flour really is important. Did you know eating 3-4 servings of Lowfat 1-2% milk, nonfat yogurt and cheese will actually increase fat breakdown in fat cells. 3-4 servings of low fat dairy can adjust the fat burning ,echanism in your body, the more calcium stored in a fat cell the more calories the body will burn. 1 serving is 1 cup milk or yogurt or 1 1/2 oz of low fat skim or part skim cheese. Read nutritional labels and find out what it says a serving/portion is of a product and stick by it, no seconds. Our plates should be 1/2 fruit, 1/4 whole grains, pasta, rice, cereal, breads, and 1/4 protein. A small reduction in calories might also help you, 10-15% less will protect lean muscle and less likely to slow down your metabolism. That would still keep you slighlty about 1,000 calories. Besides weight training you need to incorporate other exercise programs, like biking, ellipiticals, jogging, aerobics, stairs climbing, even just a good 1/2 hr. walk. You sound like your really trying hard, the best advice I can give you is "stop" weighing yourself everyday, not good for your attitude and you won't see changes. If you weight yourself say every two weeks when you lose a few pounds you'll be proud of them! And drink lots of water (you have cut out sodas and presweetened drinks , right?) Water is very important! Hope this helps, remember it takes time and patience but your on your way!
    -

Apr 4, 2007, 09:32 AM
    I have a problem, I am NOT losing wieght. I have been eating aroudn 1200 calories a day for over two months. I am NOT cheating or forgetting to count anything that goes into my mouth. I have started weight training 3 days a week and I am on my 7th week. I thought I had finally lost 3 pounds to get on the scales and see that I am back up again. Yes, I do weigh myself everyday. I am a female 5'3" and I weight 150 pounds I need to get this weight off. Why is 1200 calories and sometimes less not working????
    Ok, in all fairness, I eat what I want but very small amounts. I count the calories exactly. When you are only taken in 1000 to 1200 calories, you really can't eat lots of fats and sweets. But I am not careful to have the best food either such as, whole wheats, fruits and veggies. I eat a lot of weight watcher meals but every calorie I take in is counted. I don't eat it unless I know exactly how much it is. I thought a calorie was a calorie... that is what the experts say. Well thanks for your advice.
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Apr 6, 2007, 11:10 PM
    Maybe with all the weight training you have gained muscle and lost, muscle weighs so much more than fat. So the good news is, you probably gained lots of muscle. Try to add swimming to your exercise. Iwas a swimmer in high school and ever swim season I would lost a lot of weight and get very toned. It works out just about every muscle in your body. Get a trained person at your gym to do it with you to show you all the strokes and set up your patterns. Don't cheat, like if they tell you to swim a 500 then swim your 500 that's the only way you can actually get results from this. Also instead of eating anything you want with smaller portions, why don't you get some veggies, fruits, trail mix or anything like that and snack on that, also when craving chocolate try hot chocolate, or wanting anything sweet try a lowfat smoothing or low fat popcicles. Goodluc
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Ok, in all fairness, I eat what I want but very small amounts. i count the calories exactly. When you are only taken in 1000 to 1200 calories, you really can't eat lots of fats and sweets. but I am not careful to have the best food either such as, whole wheats, fruits and veggies. I eat a lot of weight watcher meals but every calorie I take in is counted. I don't eat it unless I know exactly how much it is. I thought a calorie was a calorie....that is what the experts say. Well thanks for your advice.
    But that's the whole point healthy natural foods, have less bad flour, (white), less sodium, and less sugar, and fats, that's why I'm advising changing over to all wheat, multigrain products, like breads, rice and cereals, pastas. Weight watchers are great, because they have the correct "portions", and low calories, but you also need low fat, dairy and lots of veggies and fruits. Dairy Products like 2-3 servings low fat, skim milk, low fat, non fat yogurt or low fat, skim or partially skim cheese, (1 1/2 oz, is one serving, 1 cup of milk or yogurt is one serving.) This will help your body, calcium regulates energy metabolism, which increases fat breakdonw and decreases the amount of body fat you have. A "calorie" is NOT always a "calorie",Another important part of the nutritional labels is sodium, tansfat, and sugar content, as well as cholestrol, a nutrient that is 5% DV is low, which is good, if it states 20% or more, in DV, that's high, choose something else. Check on calories from Fat- it's usually located right next to calories, A fat calorie comes from fat, Fat contains 9 calories (i.e 1 cup whole milk contains 8 grams of fat, so 8 X 9 = 72 fat calories) Fat intake should be 20-30% of daily calories, (50-80 grams of fat per day)
    Hope this explains why a whole diet change is necessary, if you change bad habits now, it will help you for good, portion sizes and what's in the food you are eating, as well as healthy choices.:rolleyes:
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Jul 25, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Drop it to 1000 C per diem. Try thaty for four weeks. You should lose at a rate of half a pound each week. Exercise will make it happen faster.

Good luck.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 10:01 AM
    You actually need to eat more. It seems counterintuitive but you are putting your body into starvation mode. When you start adding weight bearing exercise like weights you have to add more protein and more calories. You also need to do some kind of cardio. You have to get your heart pumping in order to burn fat.

My recommendation would be to alternate your calorie intake - one day 1400 the next 1300 the next 1200 then back to 1400. You have to feed your metabolism in order for it work. You don't expect a fire to burn without wood right? It's the same way with your body.

If you have health insurance and its covered I would also recommend going to a nutritionist they are typically awesome with getting you into a healthier eating plan.

Good luck!
    randomguy19 Posts: 81, Reputation: 3

Jul 25, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Yeah, the best thing to do for losing weight is cardio. Get your heart rate pumping for at least 20-30 minutes a day. Start small first though and work your way up. You will see a major difference. Drink plenty of water!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 09:51 PM
    Also you have to have the right amount of sleep for your body to operate properly. If you are building muscle that maybe why the scale has gone back up. Give it time, because muscle burns more calories.
    -

Jul 28, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Quit messing around on ask me and turn on your IM
    happylady123 Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Jul 31, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Try walking/running along with your program you have started. It might take awhile but be patient. Drink a lot of water around 10 cups a day. And eat a lot of celery. A few years ago I worked out for a whole year ran, lifted weights did cardio and I lost 40lbs (took a full year tho). I recently tried that quick weight loss program, I do not suggest that anyone do it. It cost over $1000 and you have to take diet pills. I lost about 10lbs in 3 weeks but after I stopped taking the pills the weight came right back.
    sacha Posts: 94, Reputation: 7

Aug 1, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Try adding some cardio along with your weight training. Try jogging on a treadmill or in a park
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Aug 1, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by happylady123
    Try walking/running along with your program you have started. It might take awhile but be patient. Drink a lot of water around 10 cups a day. And eat a lot of celery. A few years ago I worked out for a whole year ran, lifted weights did cardio and I lost 40lbs (took a full year tho). I recently tried that quick weight loss program, I do not suggest that anyone do it. It cost over $1000 and you have to take diet pills. I lost about 10lbs in 3 weeks but after I stopped taking the pills the weight came right back.
    Losing 20 lbs in short time is comopn to all diets. It is the rest of the pounds that are the hard slogs. Watching intake and regular exercise are the best foundation for weight loss or weight maintenance.

Good luck,

M:
    SpawnOfAzazel Posts: 106, Reputation: 18

Aug 1, 2007, 06:12 PM
    There's always the possibility it could be a malfunction with your thyroid. It wouldn't hurt to go to the doctor and have a metabolic profile run on your bloodwork just to make sure.
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    You actually need to eat more. It seems counterintuitive but you are putting your body into starvation mode. When you start adding weight bearing exercise like weights you have to add more protein and more calories. You also need to do some kind of cardio. You have to get your heart pumping in order to burn fat.

My recommendation would be to alternate your calorie intake - one day 1400 the next 1300 the next 1200 then back to 1400. You have to feed your metabolism in order for it work. You don't expect a fire to burn without wood right? Its the same way with your body.

If you have health insurance and its covered I would also recommend going to a nutritionist they are typically awesome with getting you into a healthier eating plan.

Good luck!
    I don't want to choose the box that says, that I don't agree with you, because I feel in dieting, anything is worth a try... BUT, she has reached a weight loss plateau, you reach a plateau becaue you did not adjust the calorie intake in regard to your new reduction in body weight. As your body loses weight it needs "less" calories, as you lose weight, you should reduce food intake, strength train, lift weights, aerobics, increase metabolic rate, in other words, more muscle mass the easier it is to burn fat. Your body adjust to all new calorie intakes.;)
    strawberry6705 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Everybody is different and especially men from women. Men can easily eat a 1200 calorie diet and go to the gym for an hour everyday and it works for them. But being a women comes hormones. It is usually harder for women to lose weight because of other added factures such as stress, hormones, and the types of exercise. The best thing you could do is make daily logs of your usual activities and discuss it with you doctor there just might be a deeper reason on why the weight won't fall of.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelesspa
    I don't want to choose the box that says, that I don't agree with you, because I feel in dieting, anything is worth a try...BUT, she has reached a weight loss plateau, you reach a plateau becaue you did not adjust the calorie intake in regard to your new reduction in body weight. As your body loses weight it needs "less" calories, as you lose weight, you should reduce food intake, strenght train, lift weights, aerobics, increase metabolic rate, in other words, more muscle mass the easier it is to burn fat. Your body adjust to all new calorie intakes.;)
    But all she is doing is weight lifting, you need to increase calories slightly while doing strength training or else you body will burn up the muscle you are building (at least this is what my trainer told me). On top of that she has admitted that her diet is not good she just eats 1200 calories but that includes junk food. It would be better for her to eat 1400 quality calories as opposed to 1200 "junk" calories.
    XsophieX Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 22, 2007, 12:43 PM
    You've probably gained muscle with your weight training wich wieghs more than fat so your most propably losing fat but gaining muscle at the same tym (which is good) and it's the fat in your diet uve mainly got to look out for it's a LOT harder to burn of than calories!
    Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I tone up without losing weight [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to tone up without losing weight? I'm 5'4 150lbs and very happy with my weight but I really need to tone up and get ride of my belly so I recently join a gym but I Don't want to lose any weight. Is that impossible?

Please Help Losing Weight Rapidly [ 3 Answers ]

My family member has a 7 yr old indoor rottweiler and he has begun to lose weight rapidly and stopped eating. As of one month ago he was a seemingly healthy dog, a little over weight and lazy. I would say he has lost 25lbs in about 1 month. There is also a large bump on the top of his head,...

Losing too much weight! [ 4 Answers ]

Ive always been a skinny girl, like most in my family. Ive had two children which was the only times Ive ever gained weight. I love to eat, but never gain a pound, which is good, but normaly Im a size 5, pretty small. Now Im going down to a size 3 which I haven't been since middle school and Im now...

Losing baby weight [ 1 Answers ]

My son is just over a year old and I am pregnant again, which we are excited about. I didn't lose all the baby weight around my tummy. I'm about 3-5 pounds heavier now than I was before I had my son. After I have our second child, is it going to be a challenge to lose the extra weight around my...

Losing weight [ 2 Answers ]

In school, my health teacher is talking about us losing weight and healthfully and my mom was skinnier than me when she was my age I'm in 7th grd and my mom was 80-90 lbs and I'm different I'm 110-112lbs and I'm average but I'm skinny a lot of people say I'm skinny I'm always on the computer,...

View more questions Search