Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 29, 2014, 03:55 PM
    Bathroom tile repair
    We need help making a decision. The backsplash above the tub in my upstairs bathroom has loose and broken tiles. We have a few contractors in for estimates. We've narrowed it down to 2 contractors. But we're having problems making a decision. We found both through HomeAdvisor.com. Both are licensed and insured (we have copies of the insurance certificates). Both had excellent reviews from the site. Contractor A has been in business since '99. "A" has an average rating of 4.92 (on a scale of 5) over 27 reviews. "B" has an average of 4.72 over 37 reviews.

"A" is more a handyman, while "B" is specifically tile repair. "A" came in with an estimate more than $100 lower than "B". However his estimate didn't include repairs that may not be necessary. "B" promised to e-mail an estimate and we had to chase him down to get it. On the other hand, "B" presents a more professional appearance. "A" gave the lowest estimate and we have a guideline of throwing out the lowest and highest estimates we get. But with money being so tight the savings are significant.

We are really having a hard time making this decision. So I figured I'd throw it out to you guys to get your thoughts.

Thanks for any input.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 29, 2014, 04:03 PM
    Ask to go around and see some bathroom installations they have done, if possible. Maybe one or two of each. I just renovated and we went with this most popular LOCAL from our small community, who wasn't the cheapest but came highly recommended.

What I am saying is, yes money is tight, but how long do you want to live with a bad job as opposed to one that will be there even after you sell the house; pick the one with the best reputation, ask around, you have all the time to do so to get it right!

Apr 29, 2014, 04:06 PM
    That is part of the problem, both come well recommended. Both have pictures of jobs on their web sites that look very nice. But you make a good point that another contractor made about how long the work will last.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2014, 04:29 PM
    My two cents: replacing the tiles around the tub is not very difficult for someone who has been doing it for years... more time consuming. In addition to maybe being able to personally see some work, is "A"'s work guaranteed? Although his estimate didn't include repairs that may or may not be necessary, ask him about it. Tell him that "B" has included it. You could also check them both out on BBB and see if anything comes up there.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2014, 04:57 PM
    Tiles falling off were probibly attached to sheetrock... not cement board... the sheetrock was damaged shortly after the grout failed and long before the tile came loose.

Repairs on such walls without replacing the backing material are at best temporary. (temporary being a relative term) I consider it anything lasting less than 5 or so years before it fails again.

I'm guessing "A" included only reattaching the tile and regrouting... nothing more.

Apr 29, 2014, 05:08 PM
    No, both estimates include replacing the underlayment with cement board. However, "A" is not including replacing rotted studs, if any, behind the existing underlayment, "B" is. However "B"'s [rice doesn't deduct if the studs are not necessary.

I've already checked the BBB, nothing on either. Both haven't issued a specific guarantee, but they both appear to stand behind their work. It's a real hard decision.
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2014, 05:14 PM
    I think the probibility of finding rotted studs to be very, very low. Unless you have a very old house that's been in very poor condition for a very long time. THe few I've dealt with literally had tile over sheetrock that was literally crumbling... and the studs behind them were still in good condition. The Subflooring is more prone to the water damage than the wall studs themselves... due to gravity. It runs off the studs but pools on the floor.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 29, 2014, 05:23 PM
    Scott, replacing rotted studs, drywall (or cement board which is the ideal for a tub) and laying tile, is easy peasy lemon squeezy. Why not do it yourself? I can talk you through it. I know others on this site could as well. It's not hard at all. In fact, it's very simple to do.

Don't waste your money on a professional. This is really something you can do yourself. I've done it, successfully. I don't have a license to do it. It's really not hard enough to hire out. Trust in yourself. You can do this, with some advice. :)
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2014, 05:30 PM
    I agree with Alty... unless you just don't have the time, or aren't handy working with your hands... its really not all that difficult. I learned to lay tile watching Hometime and This old House. And everyone that saw my work loves the quality.

You sould be able to knock off a bathroom tub suround ripping the old stuff out in a friday night, put the cementboard and thinset the tile on saturday (using the tile spacers from Home depot)....Grout it on sunday, and in a couple days its ready to use.

If you work fast..you could start saturday AM and be done Sunday night.

You can rent a tile saw and anything you need to do the job
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 29, 2014, 05:36 PM
    It's so easy it's a shame that people charge 10 times what it's worth to do. It's a crime!

Cement board isn't cheap, but it's cheaper to buy it yourself, than to hire someone to do it for you.

It's as simple as ripping down the old tile, and backing (which I'm guessing isn't cement). If the studs behind the wall aren't rotted, you replace with cement board, seal the gaps (I can talk you through that), pick the tile, and the rest is easy as pie.

If the studs are rotted, that's an easy replacement, and I can talk you through that too.

No, I'm not even a Handyman/Handywoman by trade. But really Scott, this is an easy fix. So easy it's a crime to spend 4 times more, plus, to get someone else to do it. Just saying.

Apr 30, 2014, 04:22 AM
    I thought of D-I-Y, I am usually pretty handy. But I don't really have the time or the inclination. And I'm worried about making sure everything is sealed right. If it wasn't the shower wall, I might be more inclined to try. Also tiles around the window enclosure have fallen off and I worry about cutting them to fit.

I have the money to cover either contractor, its set aside. I'm just concerned that A was so much lower, even though he has a good rep. I'm comfortable with Homeadvisor.com (like an Angie's list for home improvement) and the screening they do.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2014, 05:21 AM
    Placing a cushion in a bid for unforseen problems (especially when no provision is made for a credit if the work is not necessary) is unprofessional. It's gambling and the consumer funds the bet.
    Better to agree that unforseen problems will be negotiated if a problem is found.
    I personally don't chase contractors down to provide a price if they are slow to respond. Very bad way to start off. How will the guy respond if there is a problem and he has to stand behind his work?
    Either hire A, or get one or more other bids. would be my recommendation.
    If you want to reconsider doing it yourself and you are concerned about making cuts, you usually need a tile saw to do it efficiently, and rental or purchase of a saw will likely cancel out any savings you could relaize.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repair shower wall for tile [ 3 Answers ]

We removed some tiles around the shower pan because we noticed a stain on the floorboards in the hall near the shower. I thought the builders either didn't have a proper shower pan or they didn't put in the waterproofing membrane. I was wrong. The concrete was damp but we believe it was a result of...

Mortar repair for tile wall [ 7 Answers ]

I bought a 20's era house with original tile surrounding the tub enclosure. Now having to repair the old plumbing, a portion of the bed behind the tiles has broken down. It is the screen and mortar ( I think) construction that directly surrounds the tub spout. The tiles are good for re-use, but...

Tile repair [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leak in tiled shower and don't know how to fix it. Do I need to rip all the tile out and how to prevent this from happening.

Tile Shower drain repair [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leaky tile shower. It is on the second floor and the leak comes into the dining room. (House is less than 10 years old.) Presently, there is a little bit of drywall cut out (in the dining room) where the leak had occurred. I have had two plumbing companies look at the problem and one says...

Water damaged lamanated tile repair [ 2 Answers ]

Noticed that water from washer got underneath wooden lamanated tiles. Some tiles are starting to raise up. How do I make the repairs? Thanks

View more questions Search