Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kitten57 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2014, 02:27 PM
    How do I market the salon I am in.
    Hello my name is Karen, I just started in a salon where I am the only one working. The lady who owns the salon is working in a school as a teacher for Cosmetology. Her shop is used by her only on weekend and only with her friends and family. She did not even have a sign until I had one made for her. It is about 7 miles from where I live and would love to stay in the same area but have not gotten any one in the two weeks I have ben there. What can I do to bring people into the shop?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 29, 2014, 03:08 PM
    Are you in a small town or a city? Is there a local newspaper? If there is, write a weekly or monthly column about hair care and styles, etc. Offer half price coupons at a first visit. Go to/join organization meetings where women are and talk up the shop. Others here will give more ideas.
    kitten57 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2014, 03:53 PM
    In a small town but not two far from a big city. Thank you this gives me Idea's I have not thought of.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2014, 04:29 PM
    I'd market myself... not the shop. You might not always work there... but all your work and expense would go to help the shop owner... not you in the long run.

Market yourself... and mention which shop you work from. Who knows at some point she might sell the shop or have a falling out with you and where would that leave you if everything was geared to the shop and the shop alone.
    \

Craigs list...creat a website at one of the free hosting places.....notices on public boards at stores you find in smaller towns.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 29, 2014, 06:35 PM
    Smoothy is correct in that you want to sell YOURSELF and not the shop. Sell what YOU can do.

WG has a good point with discounts. Offer percentages off for new customers. Advertise in papers and maybe check into local radio advertising...it may not be that expensive for you. Put a sign out front offering discounts. You might be giving things away up front but it will pay off in the long run if you are good at what you do and get people following you.

Something else...if a small town, work with the community. There are always some sorts of community events going on that you could be part of.
    jamielee1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2014, 10:08 AM
    Selling yourself IS vital, especially if you plan on establishing your own business. However, in the mean time, you need to be realistic and ask yourself whether your current manager will let you offer customer discounts...

The first thing I would do would be to discuss with your employer about who the main target audience of the salon is, and effective ways in which the business can generate awareness amongst them.

For example, social media is increasingly popular within the younger generation, and is also a cheap and easy way of keeping information up-to-date! Making a Facebook page for the salon can be done in just a few minutes and will keep customers informed on new products, services or any offers that may be up for grabs, making the likelihood of customers visiting the salon a lot higher. It sounds like a relatively small sole trading business, so get your friends to share the page with their friends as a way of cheap word-of-mouth promotion which is always beneficial in smaller towns!

Alternatively, you could simply produce some posters and hand them out around surrounding areas to help further generate awareness and resultantly increase sales. But be careful as your county may have certain rules and regualtions regarding handing out flyers on the street.

These are just basic advertising ideas which is just a small aspect of marketing, however, if you are aiming to produce a whole new marketing strategy for the business, research the '4 p's' which will help get you started but would take too long for me to go into depth about, they are - price, product, place and promotion.

Hope this helps :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Best Way to market a Hair Salon [ 10 Answers ]

I really need help with my Hair Salon. I am located in a shopping center and I purchased a business that originally was a barber shop then a unisex salon. I would like to change this image and make it a hair design salon. I have had the salon for three years and have kept the same name that the...

In applying the lower of cost or market method to inventory valuation, market is defi [ 1 Answers ]

In applying the lower of cost or market method to inventory valuation, market is defined as

Small market vs. Large market [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between small market teams vs. large market teams? What makes a team a large market team or a small market team? I thought it had to do with revenue the team brought it from ticket sales but I was not sure.

Uisng other businesses to market my salon [ 3 Answers ]

My new hair & Nail salon has been open since Nov 2006 and given that we are not yet in the Yellow Pages, I need effective, creative ways ( that don't cost the earth) to get clients thru' the door post-Christmas. One local retailer has offered to put my salon flyers in its customer bags. Would I...

View more questions Search