Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rbrianrussell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2014, 06:32 AM
    House lights up all around with a electrical charge and hum
    I live in east TN. And last night we had storms that blew threw, their were some lightening but nothing major. At 4:30 this morning I was awaken by a strange deep hum that sounded like I was standing under high tension power lines, but the sound was pulsing and lasted for about a minute or so. The sound was also accompanied by a greenish yellow glow that surrounded the house. This woke my whole family up as we stood in the living room trying to figure this out, the power flickered, went out for a few seconds, and came back on, as if nothing was wrong. There is no sign of transformer damage, first thought was lightening struck the house, but no crack of lightening or damage was done. This was really weird and I have absolutely no idea what happened.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2014, 09:07 AM
    This really should be under Electrical heading. Sounds like a transformer noise or ionization of the higher voltge lines from water vapor, fog etc.. Maybe the local utility can help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mysterious hum in the house [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you folks can help me. Recently, we have been hearing a loud, low frequency "hum" throughout our house. I have turned the main power off to determine whether it's electrical. It doesn't appear to be. Checked HVAC for vibrations and couldn't pinpoint any obvious problem. ...

Mysterious hum in the house [ 25 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you folks can help me. Recently, we have been hearing a loud, low frequency "hum" throughout our house. I have turned the main power off to determine whether it's electrical. It's not. The noise does sound like a "fog horn" going off several blasts at a time and the noise level...

This Old House, Hum, never can I rest ! [ 7 Answers ]

With very little persuasion a couple of large areas of plaster are ready to fall off the lath on a ceiling. I would like to just remove those sections reveiling the joist above. Then use 3/8" rock over the entire room?

Installed new lights, now I have an annoying hum. Why? [ 6 Answers ]

I recently installed three pendant lights in my kitchen. I wired them parallel and put them all on one dimmer switch. However, when I turn on the lights, I hear a high pitch hum which seems to dissipate when I turn the dimmer switch to the brightest level. Can anyone tell me why this humming...

Mysterious hum in the house [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you folks can help me. Recently, we have been hearing a loud, low frequency "hum" throughout our house. I have turned the main power off to determine whether it's electrical. It's not. The noise does sound like a "fog horn" going off several blasts at a time and the noise level...

View more questions Search