Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    govdewey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2014, 02:52 AM
    Boundaries
    I am a senior mom living alone. I have a small, well-trained, hypoallergenic, child loving dog who is my frequent companion, indeed almost a best friend. My grown, married daughter will not let my dog in her house, gives no reason except to say "it's about boundaries and I have to accept hers without explanation." When we sit inside, the dog is alone and crying outside. My grandchildren love the dog and don't understand the rule but abide by it. I feel very hurt. I don't want to leave the dog at home alone and I don't want to give up visiting my grandchildren. My daughter refuses to talk about it. Please advise.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 29, 2014, 03:26 AM
    It is her prerogative, her home, I guess you must abide by her rules. I understand whet you mean about the friendship with your pet, but perhaps he would be happier at home, in his own surroundings, rather the separated from you by a door.

My dog is very well adjusted to being in her own home when I am gone.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 29, 2014, 04:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by govdewey View Post
    "it's about boundaries and I have to accept hers without explanation."
    She's right, except that common courtesy would dictate giving you an explanation. Maybe she doesn't want to get into an argument because she knows her reasons are not rational. But the bottom line is she can set whatever boundaries she wants.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 29, 2014, 05:48 AM
    As much as you love your dog, it is not a person, and it isn't unusual for people to have a pet-free home.

I doubt if you brought along a cousin, or family friend, that she would be forced to sit outside crying at the door. I wouldn't personally bring one of my dogs to a home unless the owners were comfortable and welcoming of it being there. Dogs don't have equal footing with humans, they are pets.

I don't know how often you visit, but I wouldn't be subjecting your dog to the anguish of being outside, when he wants to be inside with you. I don't know why you would put your dog in that position, knowing he wouldn't be welcome in the first place. It probably upsets your grandchildren, and that is not a very nice thing to do to them.

The house rules, are what they are, and clearly you are pushing the limits by bringing the dog anyway. If you have a friend, or neighbor, or responsible neighbourhood kid that you know, why not make arrangements for that person to stay with the dog, in your home.

I don't think your daughter owes you an explanation. Just keep the dog at home. Maybe the grandchildren can visit your home once in a while?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How and where to set up boundaries? [ 0 Answers ]

We've been together for a year and half and been living together for almost a year. I met him 2 years ago while he was separating from his ex. We first became great friends before we got together and I also helped him to get through the hard times after their separation. He's got two lovely 26...

Boundaries of an ecosystem [ 0 Answers ]

I have to describe the boundaries of an ecosystem of my choice. I am from New Mexico but there is a park in the city I live that has a duck pond. There are water fountains in the pond which is lined with concrete. The park itself also includes playground areas with swing sets and other things of...

Right of way and boundaries [ 8 Answers ]

How can I find out if there was ever a fence between the front paths of my neighbour and I? The house was built in 1870

Boundaries for parents [ 7 Answers ]

I am a 19 year old student who previously (due to some trials and tribulations) lived on my own. For about a year I moved on my own and rented a basement myself, paying for food, etc. I worked three jobs and was in school full- time. My partner was 10 years my senior and was my first relationship....

Boundaries and Co-dependence [ 8 Answers ]

My younger sister just moved into town. Her daughter is a single mother with two small children. Her daughter just found a job that requires her to work weekends, her daughter relies on her as the primary babysitter - even if she has to ask her at the last minute or if someone changes their plans...

View more questions Search