Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frazerd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2014, 09:03 AM
    Goldfish has white spot.
    I have inherited a 7 year old fan tailed goldfish which has acute problems. It has a distended forehead, can't float so only eats blood worms every 2 days, has a bloated body, big eyes, laboured breathing and white spots.

The white spot has only occurred in the last few weeks and we have yesterday given it the first treatment of 'anti-white spot' liquid as recommended by Pets at Home.

So far the only change in it's condition is the white spots are sending out a white discharge. The fish still seems to have laboured breathing.

Do you think it has got too old to fight this off? Would it be kinder to end it's life? If so, what's the kindest way? I cannot let it go on too long like this. I will give it a second dose of the liquid on Wednesday as directed and make my mind up after that.

Has anyone any info which might help?

Frazerd
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 28, 2014, 09:25 AM
    That sounds like some sort of parasite, most likely Ich ( How to Cure Goldfish Ich: 5 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow )
    You can use that method or a treatment for Ich available at a pet store.

As far as the distended forehead, bloated body, and big eyes...of course I haven't seen this fish but you do realize there are goldfish like that and that could be normal for the one you have, right?

Name:  oranda.jpg
Views: 5143
Size:  17.4 KB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goldfish turning white [ 4 Answers ]

My family friend have a fish tank of 5 gallons which has 4 goldfishes and few more different types. Every 2-3 weeks the tank was cleaned. She noticed that one of the goldfish turned white from fins and since she was unaware of it, it increased till tail. She added parasite treatment but it didn't...

Goldfish with a large red spot illness? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My Goldfish suddenly developed an ulcer like sore on the outside of his body it just appeared today when I got home, I am changing the water but I do need a new tank... any advice would be helpful the red sore has a sort of milky mucus layer on the top? Anything would help! He has lasted a long...

Fordyce's spot (White Spot on penis) [ 15 Answers ]

I have quite a lot of small white lumps on my penis and scrotum, after doing research and looking at pictures I think these might be Fordyce's spots, but I have found one spot which looks similar to the rest but maybe the littlest bit bigger and has a yellowish head, is it possible for the penis to...

Goldfish white growth [ 3 Answers ]

Thank you for making yourself available to us, I appreciate your time and expertise. Attached is an email of my problem goldfish. He is 7yrs old and shares his tank w/ 3 other goldfish which are unaffected. As you can see, he has two growth patches on his skin, one just below his dorsal fin and...

White spot disease in goldfish [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I purchased a three litre Bi-orb fish tank about three weeks ago and having let the tank run for three days I added two fantail goldfish (one black moor and a normal orange one). Both seemed fine for a week or so and then the black moor got lethargic and died. I tested the water at my local...

View more questions Search