Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharlem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2014, 02:44 PM
    Why are cockroaches attacked to the dark?
    Cockroach
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 27, 2014, 03:09 PM
    Cockroaches are not so much attracted (what I assume you meant to say) to darkness as they are averse to light. Brightly lit areas are much more easily surveyed by predators such as birds.

Additionally, cockroaches are claustrophillic, which means they like tight spaces. They prefer to be in contact with three or four walls at the same time. Tightly enclosed spaces such as they prefer are dark.
    Locrian_44 Posts: 44, Reputation: 14

May 4, 2014, 04:29 PM
    ... a more accurate term is thigmotactic.

It's evolution, baby. Cockroaches avoid the light to avoid being eaten or squashed. It is likely an evolved behavior. Cucurachas that stay out in the light, get squashed or eaten, and fail to pass on their genes. Cucurachas that hide live to breed another day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get rid of cockroaches? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Ten months ago, we moved to a new house. Last night, when I switched on the light in the kitchen, I saw 3 cockroaches in the sink. I am so bothered because I know they are germs carriers. By the way, can post the answer/answers to Facebook?

Cockroaches [ 10 Answers ]

I know there are 400 native cockroach species in australia but I need to know all of their names Thanks Anonymous

Can we break a lease because of cockroaches? [ 5 Answers ]

We have been renting an apartment in Boise, ID for about 5 months. We discovered that we have a cockroach infestation a few days ago but have suspected it for about a week, we brought it to the attention of the land lord and he said that he would "add us to the list" for the exterminator. So they...

Cockroaches? [ 5 Answers ]

my roommates have fairly large american cockroaches (I googled) is this because the house is dirty? What can we do about it? I just movd in with them last month and its creeping me out, I've never lived with a lot of big cockroaches before. Only maybe once in a great while seen a small one...

Small cockroaches [ 1 Answers ]

I lived with friends,where we couldn't get rid of the cockroaches... Now I moved into a roach-free home ( I know for sure,because I inspected everything carefully before moving in) only to find out ( oh horror) that some roaches have travelled with me inside my moving boxes! I haven't seen that...

View more questions Search