Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2014, 06:50 PM
    Christianity and the Universe
    If there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe (which seems highly likely, considering the phenomenal numbers), what effect do you think this will have on Christianity?
    DIAMONDD88 Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2014, 07:34 PM
    I think there is life out there too. Too many stars, planets, galaxies (possibly universes) for there not to be.

I think religious people will always stick by religion no matter what. It's their faith and part of who they are. They will interpret the bible accordingly to fit what is the truth.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2014, 06:30 AM
    Well for me I do not have religion or a list of things I do to please God. I have a relationship with the creator! I do not know if there are other universes because. God has not revealed that to us! Therefore it doesn't really matter to me in my relationship with him. It is fun to ponder these things but has no effect in my life on earth now. I trust him enough to let him be the creator of this universe and still have time for little ol me! He numbers the very hairs on my head because he loves me! Whatever is out there he is more than able to sustain but personally I would rather deal with what he has revealed to me on this planet through his word and stand in awe of his majesty
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2014, 07:04 AM
    Well said, T. I don't see why life on other planets would affect my Christianity at all. The God who made me and sent Jesus to redeem me can do anything he bloomin' well wants to, and if that includes making other sentient creatures for himself to love and interact with, I suspect he's big enough and has enough love to go around for everybody.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 27, 2014, 09:06 AM
    Athos asked how finding intelligent life on another planet would affect Christianity, not "my" Christianity. I'm guessing Christians would do all they can to send missionaries to that planet, just as they do for their own and other countries on our planet. It certainly would be interesting to find out if intelligent life on another planet already has the same or a different version of the Gospel/salvation.

Now, just to get some of you riled up, I don't believe we will ever find that intelligent life. I avidly watch "Cosmos" on Sunday evenings and believe God made the universe and all its wonders for His own enjoyment and glory and also as a complicated scientific challenge for His creations here on Earth to figure out.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 27, 2014, 09:11 AM
    If we war with each other over our religious beliefs, chances are we will war with other planets too. Sad!
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2014, 05:47 AM
    WG,

It was THIS planet that Jesus came to die for. It was mankind Jesus redeemed. We are told to go to all the earth to preach the gospel. So No, I wouldn't be trying to get the gospel to another planet. That's my thoughts anyway.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2014, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    WG,

It was THIS planet that Jesus came to die for. It was mankind Jesus redeemed. We are told to go to all the earth to preach the gospel. So No, I wouldn't be trying to get the gospel to another planet. That's my thoughts anyway.
    We don't know that for sure, because nobody in the time of Jesus knew other planets were out there. If there are, and they need it, I don't doubt He did something about it. If there aren't, then He didn't.

I find it amusing the way some people say "If there isn't other life out there, then that's an awful big waste of space." Looking at it from our point of view, yeah, it is. Looking at it from God's point of view, the universe in all its vast glory looks something like this:

It's all a matter of perspective. C. S. Lewis, in his "Silent Planet" trilogy, suggested that there was life on other planets, but they hadn't fallen into darkness the way this one had, so they didn't need redeeming. Ray Bradbury took a little different approach. In The Illustrated Man, he wrote a story just called "The Man." Here's a link to the book; check out that story. It's brilliant, and also illustrates the difference in how people react to Jesus.

The Illustrated Man - Ray Bradbury - Google Books
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2014, 08:57 AM
    Interesting. I have often thought about what if there were other planets that hadn't fallen, another Adam and Eve that hadn't eaten of the tree of knowledge and what if there were other planets that had the same sin issue. I don't know it is weird. For me, I really like to think we are the only ones. Somehow in my brain it diminishes things to think this good and evil, sin battle and redemption process is being played out on some other planet. Does that make sense? I'm just being honest.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 1, 2014, 10:19 AM
    I was telling my husband about this thread, and he suggested I read this --

Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven, by Mark Twain

about life after death, depending on which planet you're from.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2014, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I was telling my husband about this thread, and he suggested I read this --

Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven, by Mark Twain

about life after death, depending on which planet you're from.
    The Claymation folks acted this out in their video "The Adventures of Mark Twain." It's hilarious.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is the name of the universe we're in? [ 18 Answers ]

Has scientist given a name to the universe we're in? I've heard of something called Epsilon and Delta? Is that right? Delta?

Across The Universe [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know the name to the song that he starts singing at the very biggening "is there anyone going to listen to my story, or about the girl who came to stay?" Here's the link to the trailer MySpaceTV: Across The Universe Trailer by Nugeman :) Thank you soooo much

Across the universe [ 5 Answers ]

Across The Universe - Official Site " Came out Yesterday in theaters i believe. OKAY. This movie was AMAZING. I fell in love with it. If it was a person I'd marry it. Yea, I guess you can say its a 2 hour music video but its just igjiogkhsdkj i love it!

The Universe [ 3 Answers ]

Is the Universe symmetrical? I know it's contantly expanding, but are all sides expanding at the same rate?

View more questions Search