Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    R31211 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2014, 07:31 PM
    Got pulled over - (Illinois)
    In about 2 months I'd turn 16 which means I can get my license.. but now I'm unsure if I'll be able to. Today after school I had moved my friend's car to the parking lot and got pulled over due to a wrong turn. I was sincere and all when it came down to saying what went wrong, but I still got 2 tickets and now I'm honestly really, really upset. I'm thinking I won't be able to get my license now, at least not until I'm 17 or 18. I live in Illinois. Can anyone tell me otherwise if it is that I'm wrong? I'm scared I'm going to have to pay a lot for the tickets too.
    My parents know what happened and I am very disappointed in myself, as they are in me.

Thanks

PS. I didn't know what to put this under..
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 08:04 PM
    It is not necessary to post this multiple times. Once is fine.

Your question will be answered when one of our experts familiar with your question comes online. It may take a bit as we are only volunteers and take time out of our busy lives to answer questions. We are not paid employees.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2014, 08:23 PM
    I'd say that's a VERY good probability. Driving without a license is a VERY serious offense...

Apr 25, 2014, 08:29 PM
    Sorry I didn't think it was published because it didn't show up in my questions..

As I said, the car I drove was my friend's, but I only drove it because she had left it in the middle of a line that was formed to pick up kids at our school. She left it because she had to return back to school to get something. The line was moving up and she still was not back, so I drove it so I could just park it somewhere in the parking lot. :(
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2014, 08:34 PM
    There is NO acceptable excuse under the law. In fact trying to justify it will only anger the Judge. This is the real world now. Not the school, not your home.

In fact if you was driving someone bleeding to death to the Emergency room....its still not an excuse.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 09:50 PM
    It doesn't really matter that the car was your friends car. It doesn't matter that you were moving it out of a line. It doesn't matter that she left it to go get something. What matters is that you drove it without a license. It was not your responsibility to do so and you should have simply left it where it was. That is how it will go in traffic court if you go.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2014, 06:27 AM
    And you drove a car without a driver's license in an area where schoolchildren are moving about, witnessed by all the parents in line behind your friend's car.
    You showed extremely poor judgment.

This is one lawyer's opinion/summary of the infraction in Illinois. Driving Without A License Ticket Illinois | 625 ILCS 5/6-101(b) Penalty

We can't tell you here what the judge will do. If he/she gives a lot of consideration to the fact that this occurred in a school zone, they might throw the book at you. Proving that you had the skills to safely move the vehicle, such as, for example let's say that you could say I have driven on my uncle's farm for 2 years (I'm grasping at straws here). Something to give the judge a hint that this wasn't a totally reckless, hair-brained scheme that was very risky. Who taught you to drive a vehicle? Maybe that person could help you out if allowed to testify. If any of your previous driving was not in a setting where it was unquestionably legal, forget that idea.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2014, 08:30 AM
    Do you have a learner's permit and have had some practice driving? If so, how long?

Apr 26, 2014, 03:51 PM
    Yes, I have my permit. I've had it since I turned 15. In June I'll mark 9 months since I've had it. And yes, throughout my months I have had some practice. Not on a daily basis, but more than enough, honestly.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2014, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by R31211 View Post
    Yes, I have my permit. I've had it since I turned 15. In June I'll mark 9 months since I've had it. And yes, throughout my months I have had some practice. Not on a daily basis, but more than enough, honestly.
    I'm in IL. Someone with a learner's permit must always have a licensed driver in the car when driving. I agree that you had no business moving the car. Your friend was wrong to leave the car in a moving line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pulled muscle or more serious? [ 1 Answers ]

I was getting something out of my car earlier and I started having pain under my left shoulder blade. I have taken 800mg of motrin with not much if any relief. Could this be a pulled muscle or could this be from my heart. I have read that a heart attack could give these symptoms as well? Really...

I'm being pulled apart. [ 5 Answers ]

Okay I dated this girl for a year and we fell in love and all that good stuff. Then we decided to break up because life was getting in the way. Too much stuff going on in both of our lives to hold together a healthy relationship. We both still loved each other. We kind of sopped talking for a bit...

Pulled over, pulled out of truck, truck searched, wrong guy? [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, my boyfriend got pulled over this morning and was told to get out of his truck. The police then searched his truck (tore apart his truck, is what he said) and then they said "oh, sorry, we have the wrong guy". Is there anything he can do here? He has no criminal past (few speeding tickets)...

View more questions Search