Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beplmi Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 25, 2014, 05:49 PM
    How to fix me
    I am going insane in my own body. I have yet to allow myself to believe that anyone truly can care about me. My current boyfriend doesn't give me any feedback when I try an tell him things that have been bothering me. Im not sure if that's normal, or if I even should be getting mad when he just sits there and listens and responds with "ok". Maybe I'm too needy? Do I expect too much? I feel that the things I get upset about are not considered "normal" to people, but to me it seems natural to be upset about something like him not responding after I vented about a long stressful day.

Any opinions? Not even sure who to ask anymore...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 06:04 PM
    When we girls vent, guys say "ok" and maybe want to fix it. They really don't want to listen to a long, drawn-out complaint. I usually save the ranting and venting for my girlfriends. Oh, and I've been married for almost 47 years to a fixer-upper husband and have two male children who roll their eyes when I start to vent. I don't take it personally.

Apr 25, 2014, 06:07 PM
    To me it shows they don't care. I guess that's just my way of thinking. I wish I could vent to my friends but they don't want to hear it either...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by beplmi View Post
    To me it shows they don't care. I guess that's just my way of thinking. I wish I could vent to my friends but they don't want to hear it either...
    I also vent to my cats. ;)

Apr 25, 2014, 06:10 PM
    How do you not get mad when they don't listen! It drives me nuts
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 06:13 PM
    How do you not get mad when they don't listen! It drives me nuts
    Maybe you need to rethink how you vent. AND do you listen to them?

Apr 25, 2014, 06:15 PM
    I am the most consuling person to people, but no one ever listenes to me. I tend to bottle things up because I know how my boyfriend and friends respond and I don't want to burden them. Sometimes I just go on a rant but it kind of hurts my feeling when I'm don't venting and then he starts talking about himself, and how his day was bad.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 06:20 PM
    The solution is simple -- don't vent to people who don't listen or even care.

Apr 25, 2014, 06:22 PM
    That leaves me with the walls... haha.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2014, 07:14 PM
    Maybe you drone on WAY too much about it... not even a HUSBAND wants to hear constant negativity and will say OK just to get it to end and not provoke further discussion on the topic.

Wondergirl is right about that... I'm a guy... I'm backing that up. Guys want it short and sweet... get it out get it over, get it done. Don't read us war and peace in its entirety....give us the Schamms outline version.

Example... we go to the mall to buy a pair of pants... we are usually on our way home inside of 15 minutes... we know what we want, we go find it, we go pay for it... then we go home. We don't spend hours looking at other stuff when we know exactly what we want.

Unless it's a swap meet... then we can spend the entire day looking at car parts and stuff we don't even need.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 08:16 PM
    At some point you will have to accept the possibility that if your friends and boyfriend don't want to hear it, then maybe it's the way you vent/rant.

I would do an honest self examination of the way you communicate and see if what you do is too much to handle, or too often. Maybe you really just need a better way to vent.

What is it that makes you need to vent so much, or so often? What's going on in your life? Ever keep a journal or personal diary of those feelings to vent and review?
    vanheart Posts: 2,806, Reputation: 708
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2014, 06:47 PM
    Let him know how you feel when he doesn't respond. Then ask him how he feels when you rant & rave. Good start. Sounds like you guys don't really communicate.

Set some time aside to learn how. Without ranting. Quietly. Some people don't wish to waste their words. Me included. Others rattle a mile a minute. Maybe you need a BFF to listen stuff too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hole in trunk; to fix or not to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a massive Catalpa (sp) tree in my front yard. The trunk is about 4 feet in diameter at ground level. About 10 feet up the trunk, there is an oblong hole that's about 10" tall by 4" wide. I think squirrels are living in there. While I don't want to harm the squirrels, I don't want to lose...

Need to fix myself [ 3 Answers ]

I just feel like I am worn out all the time. I'm so tired. My emotions are up and down and I am starting to affect my fiancée. Lately, I have been getting these little episodes where my heart beats really fast. Lately, everything in my life has been moving so fast. My job keeps me on travel...

Can I fix what I have done [ 4 Answers ]

I like this guy from work, we went out for a while then broke up... One day I was feeling particularly unattractive when my best friend nicolas who I also dated yrs ago picks me up from work. At this point the guy I am interseted in shows up early for his shift... and not only sees me looking...

Is there anyway to fix this? [ 2 Answers ]

I was dating this guy for about a month. We talked everyday and saw each other 1 to 2x a week. From the beginning we both stated we weren't sure what we were looking for and we would just go with the flow and date other people. We both agreed that even though we weren't together we were free to do...

Can I fix hazardous steps if a contractor is refusing to fix, and threatens to sue? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in central Texas. I hired a landscape contractor to install retaining walls and a patio which included 4 steps in stone. These steps range in size from 6.5" to 9.5" and the tallest is on the top! They are very dangerous. He refuses to do any fixes, and walked off project. At one point in the...

View more questions Search