Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jchytil Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2014, 07:09 AM
    Hippa violation
    Working in billing for customer service where we receive call after call to discuss a patient's bill. If we do not ask the relationship of the caller to the patient is that a hippa violation?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 25, 2014, 07:55 AM
    Are you discussing their medical treatment or diagnoses ?

Apr 25, 2014, 08:03 AM
    No. We do not discuss what the patient is being billed for. Just answer if it has been sent to insurance, if it is a deductible etc.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 25, 2014, 08:16 AM
    It's not a violation unless someone sneaks in a call who is not part of the medical provider community. If you take calls all day long, you should be able to spot such a call.
    If you are not in management, I wouldn't worry about it. There's only so much time you want to spend asking who someone is, and if someone is lying, how will you know anyway? You won't. If it concerns you, ask what company policy is.

It's HIPAA, not HIPPA, and it's a law that was enacted to deal with electronic transmission of medical date among medical providers. Yes, a phone call is part of that, but a minor part compared to computers.

Apr 25, 2014, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    It's not a violation unless someone sneaks in a call who is not part of the medical provider community. If you take calls all day long, you should be able to spot such a call.
    If you are not in management, I wouldn't worry about it. There's only so much time you want to spend asking who someone is, and if someone is lying, how will you know anyway? You won't. If it concerns you, ask what company policy is.

It's HIPAA, not HIPPA, and it's a law that was enacted to deal with electronic transmission of medical date among medical providers. Yes, a phone call is part of that, but a minor part compared to computers.
    Thank You!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 09:09 AM
    By law you MUST verify who you are talking too, and have permission to divulge sensitive information. I am sure you have a policy and procedure in place you must follow and if YOU do not follow that procedure, then you risk dismissal, and or some other punitive action against you, by your employer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2014, 09:57 AM
    If you work for a medical practitioner, then they should provide HIPAA training or policies to each employee. Ask your supervisor about it. When in doubt keep your mouth shut.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2014, 10:12 AM
    As tal and scott both alluded to- Health providers are required by HIPAA law to develop the policies and procedures that ensure their firm's compliance with the specific HIPAA standards.

"Privacy Policies and Procedures. A covered entity must develop and implement written privacy policies and procedures that are consistent with the Privacy Rule.64

Privacy Personnel. A covered entity must designate a privacy official responsible for developing and implementing its privacy policies and procedures, and a contact person or contact office responsible for receiving complaints and providing individuals with information on the covered entity's privacy practices.65 "

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Is this a HIPPA violation [ 15 Answers ]

I was on the phone with a residents brother. He was trying to reach him but I let him know he was away from his room. He asked how he was doing. Now I am very aware I am not to discuss his medical condition, and did Not but I let him know that he seemed to have a very positive attitude and was...

Is this a Hippa violation? [ 6 Answers ]

I was injured on the job as a police officer. I have had to see the police departments physician several times over the last 2 years. He is now discussing my medical diagnosis with several members of my police department. The last time he examined me he also asked a police command officer to...

Hippa violation [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had fallen 6 ft and landed on my lower back and had NO feeling in my lower back and legs. I was taken to a local hospital and was placed in a room for 2 hours before the doctor said that I would be going to x-ray. In the x-ray room the tech asked me to move over and I told her that it...

HIPPA violation [ 1 Answers ]

One of my coworkers(we are in medical residency) was hospitalized for the birth of her child and was later told by the hospital that there were multiple (upwards of 20) times that her private medical record was accessed by people from our hospital. Because we are in residency, all residents and...

View more questions Search