Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Apr 23, 2014, 06:25 PM
    Any Tax Problem doing this
    I have a second home in SC near the beach. Since we don't use it like one week a year now, it is a negative cash burden. Two of my kids would rather I start renting it out.
    My idea would be to lease the home to my kids for like $ 1 dollar a year and they in turn would then contact a management agentcy to rent it out. So that it would help them out and take the burden off me. Upon my passing they would become owners of the property.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 24, 2014, 05:48 AM
    The difference between the market value of the property and what you charge your kids is considered a gift from you to them. If that value exceeds the annual gift tax exclusion limnit of $15K each ($30K total) then you will have to file a gift tax return. You most likely won't owe any gift tax, but it may have an effect on your estate planning.

If I were you I would charge more than $1 - after all as the owner you are still responsibile for paying real estate taxes and insurance, and only you are allowed to take depreceiation on the property. I suggest you charge your kids enough to cover those expenses, and they can keep whatever above that they get in rent. You must also document all this in a contract, including who pays for utilities, maintenence and repairs.

Apr 24, 2014, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    The difference between the market value of the property and what you charge your kids is considered a gift from you to them. If that value exceeds the annual gift tax exclusion limnit of $15K each ($30K total) then you will have to file a gift tax return. You most likely won't owe any gift tax, but it may have an effect on your estate planning.

If I were you I would charge more than $1 - after all as the owner you are still responsibile for paying real estate taxes and insurance, and only you are allowed to take depreceiation on the property. I suggest you charge your kids enough to cover those expenses, and they can keep whatever above that they get in rent. You must also document all this in a contract, including who pays for utilities, maintenence and repairs.
    You are right, I was thinking of some arrangement like you say above. Would not generate enough to trigger a tax problem for them and would ease my problems.

You would not believe the problems I am having typing this response. Phantoml
    ine feeds, the cursor jumping into the message already typed, messages popping up "asking do I want to stay on this page" ( pingStarts tyetc ) like this. Very annoying
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 05:39 AM
    If you're having technical issues with this site I suggest clearing your browser's cache, and if that doesn't help then post a question about it in the Forum Help section. Be sure to indicate what browser and version you are using.

And one correction to my earlier response: the annual gift tax exclusion is $14K per person, not $15K.

Apr 26, 2014, 09:32 PM
    I think I have figured out what the trouble I have been having on here. Not 100% sure because I restored my computer to an earlier time, thinking that might be a good way to fix the problem.

In addition, I found that the heel of my palm was hitting the mouse pad on my laptop and this appears to be the Phantom crazyness plaguing my posts and emails.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TAX. Serious problem please help [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I just want to ask cause I don't know what to do. Yesterday an unexpected money went into my account and the details was: ATO(reference#) It was a Tax of someone's for sure, cause I haven't lodge my tax return yet and here in Australia its usually every July-August to get your tax return. ...

Partnership tax problem [ 1 Answers ]

I created an LLC in 2007. Filed IRS form 1065 in 2007, but then in 2008 and 2009 did not file. My reason for not filing, is that a 17% sub-LLC owned by us did not supply us with any formal tax information or form K-1 , since 2008, to complete our tax reports for the LLC. In 2010, we did file form...

F1 student Tax problem [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am preparing Form 1040NR-EZ as F1 student for 2004. I am a citizen of People's Republic of China and I did not receive Form 1042S Form. I DONOT have Teaching or Research Assitantship or Fellowship or Scholarship. My position is just a wage payroll position as programmer on campus(in a...

Tax Problem: Wrong form [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a tax question. I am a student on an F1 visa here. I have filed for taxes 2 times now. My uncle basically did my taxes for me and both times he filled out the 1040 instead of 1040 NR. Just this semester I came to know about the 1040 NR thing. Can anyone tell me how to rectify this...

View more questions Search