Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 23, 2014, 07:19 AM
    More right wing Lunacy?
    Georgia governor to sign 'unprecedented' bill expanding gun rights | Fox News

The bill makes several changes to state law. It allows those with a license to carry to bring a gun into a bar without restriction and into some government buildings that don't have certain security measures. It also allows religious leaders to decide whether it's OK for a person with a carry license to bring a gun into their place of worship.

Under the bill, school districts would now be able, if they wanted, to allow some employees to carry a firearm under certain conditions. The bill also eliminates the fingerprinting requirement for renewing weapons carry licenses.

According to the Marietta Daily Journal, the legislation prohibits the state from creating and maintaining a database of licensed weapons carriers and repeals the state-required license for firearms dealers.
    Colin Goddard, who survived the 2007 campus shooting at Virginia Tech, told Georgia Public Broadcasting he's alarmed by a provision that waives criminal prosecution of felons who use illegal firearms in the act of self-defense.
    “The stand your ground expansion is truly a new type of stand your ground as we know it,” Goddard said. “To expand it in such a way to remove all carrying or possession offenses is really unprecedented.”
    Georgia Governor to Sign Sweeping Gun Bill - TIME

I think right wingers in Georgia have gone crazy with this second amendment thing.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2014, 08:01 AM
    I don't see any problem with most of that... because the criminals do what they want anyway... and it's the law abiding people that have been getting screwed.

So called "gun free zones" are open invitations to criminals to do their worst knowing nobody will shoot them as long as they don't hang around long enough for the cops to finally show up.

Arguing against that in effect says people really don't have the right to defend themselves, their wives or their children against the evil element of society.

As the saying goes....when seconds count....the police are minutes away.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 23, 2014, 08:09 AM
    I have a concealed carry license and I carry most everywhere I go. I went through the background checks and all the proper channels to get mine. Here in PA, there is no law about not carrying in churches or bars or whatever...other than Federal buildings, you're clear for most anywhere. School zones are a little grey as the law is written in such a way that it makes it illegal to carry a gun in a school zone "for unlawful purposes"...I mean, ok....shouldn't that be a given anyway? I can see why this new law is looking to allow some employees to carry inside a school as they are probably trying to open it up for schools that are looking to get private security to protect the children.

The problem I do see with this law as posted here is allowing a felon to defend themselves with an illegal firearm. Why do we need that? They shouldn't have access to a gun anyway as per Federal law so the way I see it, they should be prosecuted either way.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 23, 2014, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    The problem I do see with this law as posted here is allowing a felon to defend themselves with an illegal firearm.
    I went to the actual bill itself. It doesn't permit "felons to defend themselves with an illegal firearm." It merely states that self defense is an absolute defense. Maybe a lawyer could twist that into allowing felons firearms ( I'm certain they'll try.) but the felon will still be guilty of umpteen other offenses anyway.

Look for yourself:
    HB 875 2013-2014 Regular Session
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 23, 2014, 11:33 AM
    All I did was go off of what Tal quoted. I see that it really is not that way. It is a case of a news station misquoting and twisting things.
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2014, 11:35 AM
    The lame stream media has been doing exactly that for a very long time... I first noticed it was happening back in the early 1980's. and its only gotten worse.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2014, 12:02 PM
    The lame stream media has been doing exactly that for a very long time... I first noticed it was happening back in the early 1980's. and its only gotten worse.
    Yep, it was Fox News here.
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2014, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Yep, it was Fox News here.
    No.. this was happening right after the Dudley Do-Right show... on NBC, ABC, and CBS. 1984... FOX news didn't exist yet... nor did CNN.
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2014, 12:45 PM
    No..
    Yes. Look up, I know you can do it. Stick to the OP.
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2014, 12:46 PM
    Yes. Look up, I know you can do it. Stick to the OP.
    Maybe you can stick to thje OP for once. That should be a novel experience
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2014, 01:14 PM
    I know you can do it. Just look at the original question. Hint: we're not talking about your days watching Dudley-do-right or cartoons.
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2014, 02:02 PM
    I know you can do it. Just look at the original question. Hint: we're not talking about your days watching Dudley-do-right or cartoons.
    What the hell do you know about the American News...other than what you hear from some other biased news sources, particularly back before MOST people on earth even heard of the internet? YOU watch the Canadian news... and we all know how they protect suspected murderers and serial rapists until they are actually convicted... because the criminals right to privacy exceeds the rights of the public to be aware they are at risk in Canada.
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2014, 04:12 PM
    It's truly astounding how little you know about Canada. You really should leave your house and travel a bit.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 23, 2014, 04:26 PM
    It's truly astounding how little you know about Canada. You really should leave your house and travel a bit.
    Goat - gotten. Move along, nothing more to see. Show's over, folks.
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2014, 05:12 PM
    :D
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2014, 05:17 PM
    I know enough about Canada to know how truly clueless many Canadians are about the ouside world... unlike you... I've not only been outside of my home town in my life, (2/3 of it has been in fact)... but I've spent significant parts for my life in other courtries. And yeah... I've been through a lot of eastern Canada too... my wife has a number of relatives that live there I talk to frequently enough.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2014, 05:40 PM
    what is this lunacy, truly any additional opportunities to have weapons in the community is a nonsense and a sign of rebellion. I am reminded of a line from the movie Waterworld "kill something"
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2014, 05:49 PM
    How would you feel if it was a restriction on your ability to say anything about anything else... that right is no less sacred... they are BOTH constitutionally guaranteed. If one can be restricted... so can the other. THe crime rate is gong to take a drop in that state as it has in other states that favor the right of gun owners over the rights of criminals. THe highest murder and crime rates are in the places with the strictest gun control laws.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 23, 2014, 06:03 PM
    Tal, what parts do you find so objectionable that you dont thing it should be allowed? Im not comfrotable with allowing a person to carry when in a bar. But I dont mind if it is an eatery that also serves drinks as part of its business. Also dropping the fingerprint requirement isnt that bad because you dont have to go through the whole process to renew a drivers license and its about the same thing.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 23, 2014, 06:09 PM
    Uber tough gun laws and look what it does for this city !

Chicago police face overwhelming gun crime as 45 people shot over weekend | World news | theguardian.com

More Than 40 People Were Shot In Chicago Over Easter Weekend And The Feds Are Stepping In

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Limitations if you get a fixed-wing cert. then go for a rotary-wing? [ 0 Answers ]

Are there limitations if you first get a fixed-wing certification and then go for a rotary-wing certification? Son wants to go into avaition, spefically helicopters, but none of our state schools have the fixed-wing certifications in conjunction with a degree in avaition. Is there a limitation if...

Right wing consistancy of lunacy and lies [ 53 Answers ]

Hello: Didja hear that Obama's trip to India is going to cost $200 MILLION a day? He's taking 37 warships, booked the entire Taj Mahal hotel, and is the worst president in history?? Didja hear they're going to dismantle TWO of Obama's helicopters and reassemble them in India?? Didja hear he's...

Full Moon Madness or Lunacy. Do You Think Such a Thing Really Exists? [ 202 Answers ]

Hi, All! I do. I'm wondering what others think? I always feel a little bit weird around the time of a full moon. Just not quite as "in-sync" as I might be... Any others, too? Or, not? Perhaps some people might be more susceptible to it than others? What about policeman who might be...

Left Wing/Right Wing Or How About A Drumstick? [ 10 Answers ]

I've been following some of the political threads with some interest... Just wondering where some of the regulars see themselves on the ol' political spectrum. Left Wing, Right Wing or planted firmly in the Center, I'd like to know where you see yourself fitting in and perhaps an anecdotal...

View more questions Search