Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    busymomma2013 Posts: 282, Reputation: 20

Apr 22, 2014, 03:37 PM
    Fibroadenoma
    I went to my doctor last Wednesday for pain/tenderness in my left breast. Sometimes it is swollen and hot to the touch. My doctor found a lump at about 3:30. She referred me to a radiologist for an ultrasound and made a follow up appointment on the 30th of this month. The radiologist found the lump and referred to it as a probably benign tumor, fibroadenoma. He said that this should mot cause pain and chalked that up to hormones. Also, he told me that he could recheck in 6 months for changes or I could have a biopsy. He said it was up to me. My question is, has anyone every had these tumors? If so, were they painful? My breast is in constant pain. I do not believe it is due to hormones. Also, would you have a biopsy done? Thank you
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 22, 2014, 03:44 PM
    I DID have an issue almost identical to yours. Mine was breast cancer. I urge you to get a fine needle biopsy to rule out cancer.

Apr 22, 2014, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I DID have an issue almost identical to yours. Mine was breast cancer. I urge you to get a fine needle biopsy to rule out cancer.
    Thank you for your advice. I read some old threads regarding this topic and seen your story. After reading that I made my mind up and am going through with the biopsy. Thank you again.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 22, 2014, 03:51 PM
    Having been through something like this in late 2009, I suggest you take that "probably" with a grain of salt. A fine-needle biopsy can be done in the office, is painless, and you'll get results fairly quickly (and not be worried sick for six months until another exam). If it's truly benign, then you go from there and find out how to relieve the pain and swelling.
    Expert

Apr 22, 2014, 03:52 PM
    I was also told it shouldn't hurt. I was told that I don't have a family history of breast cancer, so I couldn't have it. I was also told that I was too young. I was 32 at the time, 49 now. I went through 7 doctors before one would listen to me.

Best of luck to you. Please keep me posted. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Apr 22, 2014, 03:57 PM
    Thanks to both of you.

I am 28 with no breast cancer in my family that I am aware of.

I am in constant pain. Walking is painful, washing, sleeping... it is rough.

Thank you again.
    Expert

Apr 22, 2014, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by busymomma2013 View Post
    Thanks to both of you.

I am 28 with no breast cancer in my family that I am aware of.

I am in constant pain. Walking is painful, washing, sleeping... it is rough.

Thank you again.
    I feel your pain, figuratively and literally. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. For now try taking some motrin to relieve the pain and swelling. Heat may help as well.

Apr 23, 2014, 04:13 PM
    Heat and Motrin are not seeming to help.

If I wear a sports bra and it helps a little... maybe because the breast is not moving as much? I do not know.

I am bothered because everything I read about says that they should not cause pain, but yet, reading blogs about people who have beeen diagnosed with them say that they did cause pain. Even more so the bigger the tumor was. My is 4 cm. Is that big? I have know clue. I know these are all questions for my doctor, but I am nervous and need to chat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search