Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluepersonality Posts: 39, Reputation: 3

Apr 22, 2014, 01:13 PM
    How do I research this dream of helping youth?
    I've had this idea forming in my mind for some time now & wanted to research it but can't seem to type the right thing into the search box.
    I have been thinking that I want to spend my life helping kids. The thought of starting an orphanage came to mind, but I don'tthink that's quite what I'm looking for. I want to help kids more, and I'm notentirely comfortable around babies.
    I was thinking about starting a home for troubled kids,where they have structure, get good counseling, learn responsibilities andrespect. Maybe also teach them how to survive on their own, you know teach themeverything I think schools should already be teaching them.
    So how would you start researching this? And I'm sure you'dhave to get schooling on certain things, what do you think that would involve?Do you suppose there would be certifications you would have to obtain?
    Also funding; I know that the government helps with orphanages (not enough inmy opinion), but is there any sort of funding available for something morealong these lines? And if so, I imagine the government would want to get theirstinky fingers in on it and set rules and what not, what restrictions would I haveto follow?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 22, 2014, 01:37 PM
    How old are you, and what level of schooling have you completed? Are yo u ibn the U.S.?

You don't have to start an orphanage to help kids. Have you done any tutoring or Scoutung or worked with kids somehow?
    bluepersonality Posts: 39, Reputation: 3

Apr 22, 2014, 01:41 PM
    I am 22 & have graduated high school. And I am an US citizen born & raised
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 22, 2014, 01:47 PM
    Have you ever helped/taught kids?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 22, 2014, 03:12 PM
    As for researching this idea, go to your local (or a bigger) public library and ask your question at the reference desk. A librarian will give you information (used to be in books but now may be on databases) of grants and other money available through foundations. Also, the library may own (or can request for you) books on local ordinances, state and county rules/laws, and federal requirements for an orphanage or some other facility for kids. Because of all the child abuse and molesting that's been in the news, things have tightened up considerably.

I suggest you volunteer at a hospital (children's wing), school (as a classroom aide or tutor or playground monitor), in Boy Scouts, at a church that helps local or inner-city youth -- especially if you haven't been around kids very much. Just be aware that there may be requirements for fingerprinting, a background check, and letters of recommendation. Your library or town hall or township office will know of volunteer opportunities.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 22, 2014, 03:39 PM
    Funding, no, not for years of struggling as your own non-profit, getting donations locally. No one gives out money based on a dream. You have to prove yourself.

Stinky fingers, of course - non profits pay no taxes. So you have to keep records and still file tax returns to prove you are using the money, not keeping it.

Railing against the machine will get you nowhere. Learn the ropes and the rules and when you are a seasoned veteran, then you can fight to change things.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2014, 03:45 PM
    In addition, depending on where you live, there may be a children's home that you can contact to set up a visit for asking questions. You can certainly contact one through email or by phone as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Helping a friend - Sanskrit wordings she received in a dream, to translate to English [ 0 Answers ]

Here is what she managed to recall from her dream. मूकम् करोती वचलं पञ्गुं लङ्कायथे गिरीं यत क्रिपा थामन्त्हं वंदे परामनदं माधवम All help appreciated, thanks!

I dream of my brother dying in my car and I cannot cry for him in my dream [ 3 Answers ]

I dream of my brother dying in a crash in my car, but there is nothing I can do to help him, he was in the passanger side, but I did not see the driver, I see blood coming out of his mouth and ears, I try to cry for him in my dream but cant

Never sleep late to dream, the dream. Always wake up early to live the dream. [ 0 Answers ]

I wanted to know who said or wrote the saying? Never sleep later to dream, the dream. Always wake up early to live the dream. Or, Idon't sleep late to dream, the dream. I wake up live the dream.

15 Youth caught shoplift, 18 youth also charge [ 1 Answers ]

Youth 18 , New offender of shoplifting with a 15 boyfriend, a headphone in question was found in the 15 year old. But the 18 year old also receive appear to court, the likely outcome is what the parent concern.

Crazy Dream: Need Interpetation: Spirit present in dream [ 11 Answers ]

This is a long and strange dream so be patient but, I guarantee you'll have fun with it. This dream has several movements so bare with me, they all came in succession. Phase 1- I'm the son of a wealthy arab woman. She dotes on my quite heavily, seems I'm her favorite son. In a few days, I'm to...

View more questions Search