Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 21, 2005, 05:00 AM
    Index.dat
    Index.dat files,everyone who uses Windows will have noticed them.Apparently the 'real' reason for these files is a bit of a mystery.They are in constant use when Windows is running,that is why you have to exit,before they can be deleated.Some with difficulty,and some just don't want to go.To be fair,there are programs,and freeware at that,which can remove them from your PC,but should they be there at all?

If you ask Microsoft about index.dat you get misty answers.Does anyone know why they are really needed.We all use enough anti-spyware and tracking programs,yet index.dat sometimes just doesn't want to play ball.

Personally,I'd like to ask the coder(s) who wrote it,but that will never happen.

All the best,
    Nez. :confused:
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2005, 05:23 AM
    Index.dat
    Hi,
    The Index.dat files are basically URL entries and pointers to the associated real files.
    They exist in windows temporary internet files, and are needed by windows.
    Windows rebuilds these .dat files, and even if you erase them, they will come back.
    If you use a good cleaner, such as CCleaner, it deletes junk files, and you can even include folders you want cleaned, and keep cookies you want, while it deletes others. But, it will not delete index.dat files.
    Why is it there? Who knows, one of "microsofts' mysteries", as you say.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2005, 05:28 AM
    Index.dat files
    Hello again,
    Here is a very good site for more information:

http://www.codeode.com/privacymantra...ons/index.dat/

You can also click on the PrivacyMantra link, and it's a free download that supposedly deletes some of the index.dat files, if you wish.

fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2005, 06:27 AM
    Thanks, for that link, that was an interesting article. But I found some contradictions. First, the index.dat files are not plain text, at least not in XP. I just checked, opening them in Notepad and while I could read some text, there was nothing readable in Notepad about sites I've visited. This mistake makes me wonder about other information in that article.

I'm also not sure that the file stores every place you've visited from day one. That would make the files grow rather large. My index.dat is only 80K.

The article is correct that even if you are successful in deleted them, they will be recreated.

Feb 21, 2005, 06:28 AM
    Mantra
    Cheers Fred.My mantra is now karma!

Er,calmer.

All the best,
    Nez. :)

Just seen your posting Scott.I will have a look on the net to see if I can find more info on Bill's index.dat files.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2005, 06:40 AM
    Nez,
    Please keep us informed on anything you find.

Personally, I've never been concerned about being tracked. I've never gone anywhere I'd be ashamed of. My concerns with spyware, etc. is based on the affect on performance not for privacy issues.

I do use a cookie manager to screen cookies from untrusted sites. But other than that. I don't worry too much about it.

Feb 21, 2005, 08:18 AM
    Index.dat,invisible files,etc.
    I never go anyware 'dodgy' on the net.Your just asking for trouble if you do.Basically I'm a news junkie,and tech reader.But that doesn't mean I can't go into paranoid mode every full moon. :D

Just to put your mind at rest,according to net gossip,Microsoft are very good at adding invisible files.In DOS for instance to make a folder/file unseen to a directory listing,they're set as + s [system].As soon as the dir/s command touches a system folder,the command is rendered useless.

In good old Internet Explorer,the desktop.ini text file can be added to folders to customize the folders behaviour.In other words,invisible.Using the Find:Files or Folders utillity won't help at all.Microsoft created a desktp.ini file with certain CLSID tags and the folder goes into thin air.

Surelly not another conspiracy theory from Nez?

As we always say here,use Firefox!

All the best,
    Nez.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2005, 05:51 AM
    Index.dat files
    Hi, Nez,
    I made an interesting discovery about a free software cleaner I have been using for some time. It DOES delete the index.dat files!
    But, it deletes them after a re-boot, cause windows has to re-build the files on re-boot. If it deleted them instantly, windows Internet Explorer could not operate.
    The free program is CCleaner, Version 1.7, and is available at:

http://www.ccleaner.com/

My c:/windows/temporary internet files/internet explorer/content IE5 had an index.dat file of 9 Meg!! It is now GONE; with about 32 K, being rebuilt on re-boot.
    It does work.
    Also, this 9 Meg of files contains everywhere I have been, history, etc; but security wise, is no more.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    PS; This great free program can also be set to keep cookies you want, such as websites frequently visited. It's under the Options tab, then the Cookies tab.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Creating An Index in MS Word [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to create an index for the end of my recently written book, which is currently in MS Word (I am going to eventually convert it to Quark Xpress for layout). I have tried to follow the directions in the MS Word helpfile but it's not working. Below, I will explain what my problem is: ...

Opening index.that file. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm writing this thread hoping someone can help me. I was trying to open the index.dat file located in the temporary internet files folder, but using notepad, the information appears unformatted and encrypted. Is there any way (program) to open this file and see the information with a...

Help topics for index missing [ 1 Answers ]

help Please, I used the windows washer prog and now my help index topics is blank and all that is there is a red x. I tried restore but no luck tried the reg bckup on win wash but no luck I tried to install pchealth.inf from my os cd still no luck I am stumpped. Any suggestions. Need...

Help me get rid of http://any-find.com/index.htm [ 4 Answers ]

I keep setting up my web brower to open up at msn.com But every time that I do, it keeps opening to http://any-find.com/index.htm I've used Spy Bot, and Ad aware and cannot get rid of what ever is causing this. Does anyone have a solution? Many thanks.

Index.that folders [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what I lose by cleaning out the index.dat folders? Will doing this cause me to lose anything important? Thanks

View more questions Search