Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2014, 03:11 AM
    Easter
    Here's a thought, Easter is the most important date on the Christian calendar and yet noone has anything to say
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 19, 2014, 03:40 AM
    We did, didn't we ?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 19, 2014, 04:38 AM
    I guess no one includes you?

I think of spring and rebirth, not being much of a believer in Jesus rising on the third day. I admire him very much as a human being with radical ideas. I think Christianity invented all this to covert pagans, who had their own similar beliefs. It's a nice story, and I was raised a Christian, so like the traditions, but only for the memories.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2014, 04:22 PM
    Joy,

Just out of curiosity have you ever read how many of the early Christians died? The apostles? Pretty darn brutal, pretty hard lives to live for a nice invented story. No way, that's my thoughts. I remember Peter Jennings did this show years ago In Search of Jesus. I listened to all the skepticism but I was struck by the conclusion, while many people he interviewed felt like you do, some of them had to admit... something had to have happened. They didn't believe these early believers would have been able to endure what they did if it were all a lie. Seriously, you should look into it. But I am a believer, I want everyone to be one. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 12, 2014, 06:04 PM
    I really challenge there is no one most important day. Every event, had to occur to make it all work. Jesus had to be born.. The events with John the Baptist, his trial. Death, rise again, and accession. Without any one of those, there is nothing...
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2014, 04:22 PM
    Fr_Chuck,

Easter is pretty darn special, without the resurrection we are all still in our sins. While it IS true all events leading up to it are very important, none of the events can make the sinner cheer more loudly than the Easter. Without the resurrection we would all be doomed and still in our sins. This is a biggy.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2014, 04:33 PM
    Joy and Chuck, I wish I could greenie you.

I'm a non practicing Christian. You all know what I believe, and why. I do celebrate Easter, and I find it a bit odd that I do tell my kids why Christians celebrate Easter, when I no longer consider myself a Christian.

The same with Christmas, which to me is far more special and meaningful than Easter.

My kids know the religious aspects of both. My husband, who wasn't raised in any religion, does believe in God but on a much lesser scale than I do, makes it about being a kid. After all, Easter for kids is about getting chocolate, colored eggs, a small toy, dreaming about the Easter bunny. Christmas is about Santa, getting presents, being with family. It's about dreaming, believing in the unbelievable, being excited to see magic happen. It's very much like being a Christian, believing in the unbelievable, things that don't really make sense. IMO.

Why does there have to be a religious aspect to everything we do?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 15, 2014, 04:45 PM
    The Christians were wise to schedule their holidays with the ones already being celebrated. Does the salvation and rebirth feted in the Spring become lessened by the spelling of the holiday name? Is the rebirth of Oestre's day any less renewing than the resurrection at Easter Sunday? Since this holiday is now past let's use this thread to argue whether the name should be spelled Yeshua, Jesus, or Yesha ben Josep.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2014, 04:57 PM
    I totally disagree, Tess. Without the Crucifixion, we'd still be in our sins. The Resurrection was simply the exclamation point after the Resurrection and evidence that we too will live again after death.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2014, 04:59 PM
    Cats, "a rose by any other name is still a rose." :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 15, 2014, 09:41 PM
    Not saying it was not important, but without his birth as a Virgin, then prophesy is not fulfilled and he could not be the true Christ Without his death, there is no Resurrection. But without Judas, there would have been no betrayal...
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2014, 06:34 AM
    WG,

Well you can disagree if you like but that isn't what Paul said in 1 Corinthians : And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.

Yes, the crucifixion is important because he paid for our sins there and a divine exchange happened... he became sin for us and we who believe got his righteousness. I'm not trying to imply the crucifixion was not as important.. However the resurrection was proof that Jesus Christ was the ultimate sin offering and God accepted HIM as an over payment for our sins. It's all important... but the resurrection makes me want to shout! It's pretty darn cool.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2014, 06:39 AM
    Fr_chuck,

Of course you are right... it's just that the resurrection was proof positive that Jesus was accepted as the ultimate sacrifice. I don't know when I watch The passion of the Christ the last scene makes me excited! And then the movie is over. Booo! I would like someone to do a movie on the resurrection! I don't think we can ever capture on film what the Lord went through spiritually. Mel Gibson did a pretty darn good job physically and yet I believe it was even worse than that.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2014, 05:58 AM
    Let's be straight about this folks, ressurection goes hand in glove with cruxifixion, the ressurection proves the power of God otherwise Jesus would be another dead man lying in his grave, so yes Chuck I do consider that if we are going to celebrate days, Easter, as it represents the ressurrection, is more important than any other and it is demeaned by linking it to a pagan festival, Cats.

I'm don't doubt the pagans had a day for just about everything, with so many Gods they would have to have had, and the Christians might have been foolish by replacing these festivals with Christian festivals, but what could they do with such a system if they didn't want a hybrid religion so they surplanted their festivals.

Much of what we christians do has little scriptural base but it is tradition and has meaning and it should not be changed on the whim of a secular society
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 23, 2014, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    it is demeaned by linking it to a pagan festival, Cats.
    Why do you think the Council of Nicaea did that, then?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Happy Easter! [ 2 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coming Easter [ 8 Answers ]

The reading in last Palm Sunday Mass quoted Isaiah 50:4-7, which says: For the Sovereign LORD has given me an instructed tongue, To know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, Wakens my ear to listen like one being taught. 5 The...

Easter Greetings [ 1 Answers ]

Happy Easter everyone.

Easter Is Here [ 4 Answers ]

Just want to say Happy Easter to everybody here. Hope you all have a beautiful day. Joe

View more questions Search