Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2014, 06:01 PM
    Do you need a certain driver's license to drive it? What's its gas mileage like? Will maneuvering ever be a problem? Will you have it checked by a mechanic before you buy it? Where will you store it? Have you checked the NADA guide for a price (I found a red one online, same year/make/model, for $7500. Another one was $4400.)

Be careful.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 24, 2014, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Ya, it is too good to be true, but hey, aren't I due for something good to happen to me?
    You are...just be careful.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 24, 2014, 06:16 PM
    It's on a lake lot in Fox Creek. He drove it there last month, planned to use it there on the lot for the summer.

Now he has to move, and doesn't want the burden of taking the motorhome with him, since he's moving out of the province.
    Can he wait through the weekend? If so, sounds like a road trip. See if he'll let you use the door key.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 24, 2014, 07:36 PM
    To answer a few questions.

Yes WG, you need an upgrade on your license. It's a written test, and it costs around $20. R had driven a motorhome before, as have I. We both already have that classification on our license. :)

The gas mileage is a question we plan to ask when we talk to him on the phone. R called, but got the guys voice mail. I did check the NADA guide, and this is an extremely good deal. That's what does make me weary, but it is possible that the seller simply doesn't know what he has.

He said next week would be okay, but the weekend is better for us. Our friend is coming to visit, and he knows quite a bit about engines etc. We'd like him to be able to have a look at it with us. He's also the one lending us the money for it. He can't do it during the week, and doesn't have another weekend off until the end of May. So it's this weekend, or not at all.
    Entomology Expert

Apr 24, 2014, 07:51 PM
    Road trip!
    Pets Expert

Apr 24, 2014, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Road trip!
    It may happen.

R plans to call our insurance company tomorrow to find out what the insurance costs would be. He tried to call tonight, but they were closed. He also really wants to talk to the guy and ask him the questions he didn't post on his ad, like the KM's on the motorhome, if it's had a vehicle inspection done (which it would have had to have for him to insure it since it's over 10 years old), and most importantly, why is he selling it for such a low price.

Don't worry, we won't be fooled. We're very very careful. My main question is what you all think about a motorhome versus a pull trailer? To me there are pros and cons to both.

The biggest pros are that it's much nicer to travel in a motorhome. It's a lot easier once you get to the campsite. And the biggest pro. R needs a new vehicle, soon. Like in the next few weeks. If we get a pull trailer he'll need to buy a truck that's capable of pulling it. Trucks are gas guzzlers. If we get the motorhome he can buy a more economical vehicle.

He drives his vehicle every day. It would save a lot on gas if we didn't have to get a truck. The motorhome, even if we went camping every weekend, would be used around 8 times a year. It will cost more in gas when we go, but in the long run, we'll still be saving money on gas.

The cons: If the motor dies, it's a goner unless we can afford to replace the motor. It's a vehicle, and as such is prone to the same restrictions, i.e. higher insurance costs, inspections, tire costs (not that a pull trailer doesn't have tires, but a motorhome has more, and it would be more costly). Once you're at your campground, if you have to go somewhere, you have to take the motorhome. It's not always easy to find parking.

There are more pros that I didn't mention, but they're minor.

R is very interested, which I didn't expect. He always said he wouldn't want a motorhome. But this deal is too good not to at least look into. Even if it means a road trip and we come back empty handed.
    Entomology Expert

Apr 24, 2014, 08:05 PM
    I would prefer the motorhome myself.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 02:08 AM
    Name:  towed jeep.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  47.0 KB
    R needs a new vehicle, soon.
    You see this on the highway a lot.
    busymomma2013 Posts: 282, Reputation: 20

Apr 25, 2014, 08:52 AM
    I prefer to tent camp! :)
    Pets Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by busymomma2013 View Post
    I prefer to tent camp! :)
    LOL! I used to, until I had kids, and dogs. With the dogs it's almost impossible to tent camp, even tent trailer camp. They don't like being left behind, and they will rip right through the tent. The tent trailer is held together by velcro. I often wondered why they even bothered to put a lock on the door when all you have to do is tear back the velcro beside the door, reach in, and unlock.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 04:02 PM
    If your seriouse about getting this there are a few things you really want to check on. Also something you should bring with you when you go and pick it up if you do.

1) Make sure the tanks are not cracked. If the thing has been sitting out in the wild so to speak and the thing wasnt winterized then you can have broken recovery tank.

2) You will need to check the other tank (holding tank) for fresh water too.

If you get it be sure to bring a case of bleach with you and you can pour it down the comode so it gets any smell out of it. If its been sitting then its been sitting without being emptied. Keep that in mind when you go.
    Pets Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    If your seriouse about getting this there are a few things you really want to check on. Also something you should bring with you when you go and pick it up if you do.

1) Make sure the tanks are not cracked. If the thing has been sitting out in the wild so to speak and the thing wasnt winterized then you can have broken recovery tank.

2) You will need to check the other tank (holding tank) for fresh water too.

If you get it be sure to bring a case of bleach with you and you can pour it down the comode so it gets any smell out of it. If its been sitting then its been sitting without being emptied. Keep that in mind when you go.
    Thanks Cdad. According to the seller it's only been sitting at the lake lot for the last month.

Sadly, I think I lost out on this deal too. Via email I told him R would call him at 8pm last night. R called him, no answer, left a message on his voice mail.

A few hours later, with no call, I emailed him, told him he could contact us up until midnight. No call, no email.

When I checked today, still no email, and no call. So I checked his ad. It's gone.

I'm thinking someone faster than us, got the deal. :(
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 04:22 PM
    You know Alty, with the combination of skills that both you and R have you could make your own trailer. Its really not that hard to do.
    Pets Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 04:56 PM
    You know Alty, with the combination of skills that both you and R have you could make your own trailer. Its really not that hard to do.
    But it's much more costly than $500. Also, much more time spent doing it.

My dream was to get an old trailer, something that's sound, but needs a lot of TLC, and fixing it up. New floors, new wallpaper, new seat covers, new mattresses on the bed (foam since it light), and a good cleaning. But nothing too major.

I've booked a week long vacation at Elk Island Park, an hour drive from our place. Penticton is not in the picture this year, which was the initial plan, both this year and last. We just can't afford it.

But Elk Island we can afford. Me and the kids for the week days, R on the weekends unless he can take the time off, then it's all of us for the week.

We can't do it in the tent trailer, not with the dogs. It's a very small trailer, sleeps 6, but it's 8 feet of walking space. Bending to cook, bending to access the drawers. I'm just too old for it now. I want to be able to stand up, make my life easier while we're camping. Be able to wash the dishes in the trailer instead of boiling water, pouring it in a rubber tub, and washing dishes on the picnic table 3 times a day, while the rest of the family goes out to have fun.

I also want more safety. Not only for us, but for the dogs as well. When you lock the door of a trailer, it's locked. When you lock the door of a tent trailer it's easily opened by peeling back the velcro and reaching in. My dogs can get through a fence. Velcro is not a challenge for them.

I'm not looking for shiny and new. I'm not looking for all the bells and whistles. I'm looking for sturdy walls, a toilet, a sink and a cook top, a fridge, beds, and that's it. The rest I can fix up to suit us. But building one ourselves. I'm afraid the kids would be in college before we could accomplish that. :(
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 05:12 PM
    What about renting one?
    Pets Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    What about renting one?
    That costs around $500 a week. I'd much rather buy a $500 trailer that needs some love, than rent one, once, for the same price.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 05:46 PM
    How about you see what you can afford and if you can try for something reasonable.

1995 AWARD 727 TRAVEL TRAILER for sale in Rocky Mountain House, Red Deer, Sylvan Lake, Innisfail, Drayton Valley, Lacombe, at Edwards RV
    Pets Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 05:51 PM
    That's a nice one Cdad. A bit more than I want to spend, but very nice, and a reasonable price.

I did find on that I really like, on the same site that R is looking for a new used vehicle. With the new used truck he found, and this used trailer, it would cost us less than what I was paying for my Jeep for 3 years (Jeep just got paid off, no more payments). It's worth looking into. It's a 2007, it sleeps 8 plus (which we don't really need, but this way the kids could invite their friends to come camping with us). It's a little over 30 feet, and weighs a little under 5500 pounds (which is very light for that size).

It's a nice trailer. Not my dream. It doesn't need any TLC. It's not cheap. But this is more along the lines of what R wants. I'm not going to get excited about this one like I did the others. No sense getting happy until it's parked in my driveway.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2014, 08:06 PM
    We have had pop ups, tow units, tents etc. Every 24 ft. MH I have seen, well most anyway, has had a small car being towed behind it. So now you need another vehicle. Typically poor gas mileage, breaks down and you are stuck. In my opinion get a small towable park model.
    Entomology Expert

Apr 25, 2014, 09:52 PM
    He sold it or...more likely he realized he was under-priced and took the ad down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trailer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm Casey. I live in a city trailer park in Indiana. I have a 16 by 80 mobile home. Recently I came home and the washer had drained and backed up into the toilet I have since snaked every line in the trailer from every drain. Even the ones under the trailer and the one to the street. The problem...

if an atv is worth 500 and is worth 50 less each year what would the x and y intercep [ 2 Answers ]

a new atx is worth 500 os depricating in value by 50 a year

How much is a 1925 penny worth with one cent and a wheat on the back worth [ 3 Answers ]

How much is a one cent with a wheat on back is worth from 1925

Why is the median net worth a more useful measure than the average net worth. [ 1 Answers ]

this is the answer I put: Median net worth is a more useful measure than the average networth because its gives you the exact number quality total of each product we are graphing. But the average will provide us information of the total divided by the amount of the products and not the exact...

View more questions Search