Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eljayne6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2014, 12:05 PM
    How can I remove my sister's name from our property?
    My sister now has dementia. How can I remove her name from our property house and land deeds?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 14, 2014, 12:53 PM
    Short answer: you can't.

Why do you figure you need to?

If she is indeed mentally incapacitated, and if she never wrote a will, when she dies the property will go to whoever the law in your jurisdiction provides will inherit under the intestacy ("no will") statutes (unless the state takes her share to reimburse whatever has been paid for Medicare costs).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 14, 2014, 01:37 PM
    Were you or someone given power of attorney for her? Or did a court appoint someone to oversee her affairs? Unless that happens, she iis not capable of signing any legal forms.

As AK noted, why is this an important issue?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 14, 2014, 03:14 PM
    Although with dementia and not able to speak for herself, she is still part of the family unit and should be thought of as such and respected.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2014, 04:12 PM
    You can't just take someone's property because they are incapacitated. If you are her heir, it will go to you when she passes away. If you are not, you will have to wait until she passes and try to buy her share from her heirs, and refinance to get them off the paperwork or, if her heirs have power if attorney you may be able to buy out her share now if they are amenable .
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 14, 2014, 04:25 PM
    The court can appoint an attorney or other person to act on their behalf. But I doubt if anyone would view taking their ownership of property away, as a benefit. So most likley you would have to pay them for their share of the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband property sister enterfair legal or not [ 2 Answers ]

If my husband personal purchase land property in which sister meddler legal or not. And she is already married and my father Is live with another kept woman and my mother in law not in world she is death. I hope you'll give me healthy answer ...

Sister won't return personal property; have to sue [ 16 Answers ]

My sister borrowed some evening wear items last christmas to wear to parties. Recently I asked her to return the fur jacket, crystal earrings, my daughters coat (who owes her husband money) and yellow dress. She replied by telling me I owed her for medicine she paid for last fall when I had a...

Can I remove my sister from the deed, but not the mortgage. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi There, My Fiancé and I recently purchased a house, and my sister signed on as an occupying co-borrower so that we were able to get a conventional loan, and a great interest rate. Now it would be great to remove her from the Deed, so that we can be eligible for certain tax exemptions, as my...

I own property that has a manufactured home that's titled to my sister. [ 10 Answers ]

Inherited property due to my fathers passing. There is an outstanding mortgage on the manufactured home. The deed to the property is in my name and I am paying the real estate taxes. I applied for a loan to pay the balance of the mortgage on the home. The manufactured home on this property has my...

Buy sister's share of inherited property? [ 5 Answers ]

Sister and I inherited property from Dad in 2003. I am buying her half now in 2009. I offered her 1/2 the market value at the time of inheritance, not 1/2 of today's market value, the latter being twice as much. She disagrees with that strategy. It should be noted she has not paid her share of...

View more questions Search