Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    desfam5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2014, 08:12 AM
    EPS and Dividend
    KMP
    Kinder Morgen LP

if the company is earnings per share eps = $ 3.76 how can the company payout $5.44 as dividend? Where is the extra money coming from?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 14, 2014, 09:26 AM
    A company can pay dividends that exceed EPS if they have a cash reserve - i.e. they pay the dividend out of retained earnings from previous quarters. Or their cash flow may be greater than their EPS, if they took a write-off that hit EPS but wasn't an actual expense in the quarter, or if they sold off a lot of inventory. Obviously this is not a long-term tenable thing to do, so if the EPS stay depressed you can expect them to cut the dividend aty some point in the future.

In the case of KMP, my guess is that they're depreciating their oil and gas reserves, which artificially depresses reported EPS. Limited Partnerships are typically designed to show losses, so that the partners can get a nice tax break at the same time as they are receiving dividend payments.
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

May 28, 2014, 03:47 PM
    KMP routinely borrows money and issues more shares, using the proceeds to fund the dividends.

When investing in partnerships and REITs check the financial statements and learn where the cash is coming from. Earnings is rarely the whole story with these.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

6+2 pon eps to 8 pin eps adapter [ 0 Answers ]

I just got all my parts & went to plug in my power supple for my processor and my 6+2 pin doesn't fit the 8 pin connection. I've seen some forums saying its not recommended to use an adapter. So I don't know what I need to do.

Basic EPS and diluted EPS [ 2 Answers ]

How can I calculate Basic EPS and diluted EPS in regards of the following proble, At Jan. 1 and Dec. 31,2005. Wonderland co. has the following securities outstanding: 5% convertible bonds, $1,000 face amount $1,000,000,000. Convertible into 30 million shares of common stock 10 million 8%...

What is the basic EPS? What is the diluted EPS? [ 1 Answers ]

A company had the following changes in its common stock shares outstanding for 2009: January 1st: Beginning balance of 90,000 April 1st: Issued 30,000 shares for cash July 1st: purchased 39,000 shares November 1st: Issued 60,000 shares for cash The company had a net income of $800,000. Also,...

Butler Corp paid a dividend today of $3.50 per share. The dividend is expected to gro [ 1 Answers ]

Butler Corp. paid a dividend today of $3.50 per share. The dividend is expected to grow at a constant rate of 8% per year. If Butler Corp stock is selling for $75.60 per share, the stockholders expected rate of return is?

View more questions Search