Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ISAF2014 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2014, 11:29 AM
    Need Some Ideas
    I am adopted and have been for a while. My biological mother is my adoptive father's sister. My parents and I have known who my mother is and I had a slight relationship with her up until 2005. It's not a question of who she is, where I was born or when (I have a copy of my original birth certificate). The issue is that she has vanished and I have been unable to find her. I have been searching a little more diligently over the past two years between deployments (military), but to no avail. I've tried public record searches and library article archives, but they always end up leading to a pay site (I thought public records were free). I have tried DOC and other state judicial websites, again no records. I did pay a small fee on a couple different "finder" sites, but the information given was a phone number and an address that doesn't exist (confirmed after I sent the local Sherriff's office out on a welfare check). I am open to any suggestions as long as they are helpful. Thanks for your time.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 14, 2014, 09:45 AM
    I know you don't want to spend money, but the surest way to find her is to hire a licensed private investigator. They can often take the information you already have and find a person in a relatively short amount of time for a reasonable fee.

Otherwise, sometimes how successful a search is depends on how common the name is---and whether they are even using the name anymore. There is nothing illegal about using an alias as long as you are not using it to commit fraud. Jenny Smith is going to be much harder to find than Hebzibah Vander Smelton-White.

Other than hiring someone to look, my only real suggestions are to look for any variation of her name (or any name you suspect she might be using) on social media websites.

Apr 15, 2014, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    I know you don't want to spend money, but the surest way to find her is to hire a licensed private investigator. They can often take the information you already have and find a person in a relatively short amount of time for a reasonable fee.

Otherwise, sometimes how successful a search is depends on how common the name is---and whether they are even using the name anymore. There is nothing illegal about using an alias as long as you are not using it to commit fraud. Jenny Smith is going to be much harder to find than Hebzibah Vander Smelton-White.

Other than hiring someone to look, my only real suggestions are to look for any variation of her name (or any name you suspect she might be using) on social media websites.
    Thank you. All of it great advice.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 15, 2014, 09:09 AM
    A person disappears not to be found, and its quite odd your own family doesn't help you. I have to ask are you prepared for the truth? What does the step father her sister, think about your search? Do they know?

Apr 15, 2014, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    A person disappears not to be found, and its quite odd your own family doesn't help you. I have to ask are you prepared for the truth? What does the step father her sister, think about your search? Do they know?
    Her brother (my uncle by birth) is my adoptive father, so there are no step parents involved. I understand that people disappear not to be found as she was not apart of my life until I was 7 and then disappeared again until I was 10. She does have a record and usually works jobs for cash "under the table". I have thought about the fact that I may not find her, and I have even thought about the possibility that she may be deceased. However, she is still my biological mother and deserves to know that she has grandchildren now. My adoptive parents and I have talked at great lengths over the years and they are not opposed to me trying to find her or having a relationship. I know who raised me and have made it clear to them that I have no intentions of "replacing" them. Yet, I would still like to know where she is, ask questions regarding my "bio" father, and know more about my other "bio" siblings". Perhaps that may be too much to ask for? Or is it that it is too difficult for some people to understand?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 15, 2014, 10:47 AM
    I had a very good friend whose joy at finding her father finally was crushed by the fool's wish to have nothing further to do with her or her kids. I wouldn't wish that hurt on my worst enemy.

Hope you understand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anybody got any ideas [ 1 Answers ]

I use to love this film when I was younger bu I cnt remember the name :( its abou a girl who goes into a toyshop an gets shrunk down after closing times an tries to figure a way out but a jack in the box takes her and won't let her go . I really want to see it but can't remember the name :( any...

Any Ideas on what I should do! [ 28 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost two months. We get along great when we're together. But when we are apart lately we tend to fight. He says he loves me and that he wants t omarry me someday. He cheated on me once over myspace. He was calling some girl sexy but he never actually saw...

Any ideas? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! I've been having some issues with some kids in school. I must admit, I'm slightly nerdy. I love being in the school band, math is my favorite subject, and I've gotten nothing but As on every report card I've ever gotten. I am very proud of these things, but it's given me an odd...

Need ideas [ 4 Answers ]

I cook for my family every night. It seems you just fall into a slump, you know what your family likes and it gets repeated a few times in the month. I'm just tired of the routine. Anyone have dinner ideas that want keep me in the kitchen long. My busiest time is between 3-6, with the kids getting...

Need Ideas [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am 27 yrs old. I Currently work for Verizon. It's a good job with decent pay and benefits. The problem is that I am just making it. My goal is to save enough money for a down payment on a house. I need some ideas for a home based bussines or any other money making ideas were I can pull...

View more questions Search