Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2014, 11:02 AM
    A New Spin On An Old Text?
    I want to get opinions on this idea, because I'm not totally sure it's actually what's going on. I was listening to a trailer for one of the 4 billion Jesus movies out there, and heard Jesus' famous line "Father, into thy hands I commit my spirit." Every time I've heard this talked about, or dramatized in a movie or otherwise, it sounds like a statement of surrender: "I'm done. I've got nothing left. Let's get this over with."

That makes sense in the context of crucifixion, but something about it struck me differently. I can't help wondering if it's actually a statement of triumph? He's just called "It's done!" indicating that our redemption has been accomplished. He ends the tableau with this statement, but considering that it comes right after that cry of victory, I wonder if we should understand it more like this:

"Daddy, I'm coming home!"

Any thoughts?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2014, 11:28 AM
    I've always understood it as a blend of both of those.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Apr 14, 2014, 08:45 AM
    I consider giving oneself over to the Father a victory, no matter what the context.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Apr 14, 2014, 01:10 PM
    Interesting take on it. I've always been of the opinion that it was more of a statement of completion... if not to the point of exhaustion. How we might feel after we have run a race... not that we gave up or stopped... but that we finally crossed the finish line.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2014, 02:50 PM
    I think it could have been both. I always thought it was a statement of completion as well and for me, it is yet another situation where he proves himself to be God because only God could decide to give up his spirit. My pastor always says he wants to come to the end of his life and say those words as his last and it bugs me. Only God can say that and mean it as profound as the pastor thinks it would be... it can't be done. Sorry, I digressed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Excel 15 digit issue, tried converting to text, text to column feature negates fix [ 6 Answers ]

I have the following numbers that exceed 15 characters that needs to be split into its own columns. Down the road, there would be thousands of such rows of data with the first couple set of unique numbers. 890432453253208820,5004500558,05CC,1,0,0,0,0,0,0, 0000,5.0000,2007-01-11...

Scanner that converts text image to real text [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Helpdesk advisors, I look for a scanner,that reads any character from paper,converts it to text and has interface with Microsoft software.Usage area: reads product name , unit of product bought, price and other sort of text info.The scanner is able to convert printed and possibly...

How can I get a 9-digit numeric datapoint to format as text, and link up to text [ 2 Answers ]

How can I get a 9-digit numeric datapoint to format as text, and link up to text? I was able to convert a column of 9-digit Social Security Numbers to 9-digit text, but they don't link up to =if statetments as I try to match them up. Thanks for your help

Convert image (pdf, typewriter text) to text file [ 21 Answers ]

I've played with 3 different OCR apps (including one that seems to be tops (Abbyy Fine Reader Pro) and find it too much. Easy to use but far too time consuming for my skills with it. See the attached pdf (38 pages of typed text). I have it and 5 others that need converted but am finding it too...

View more questions Search