Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schoolteacher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2014, 02:40 AM
    Can you shed any light on this subject?
    My mother is now a widow and has decided that she wanted just one of her remaining 3 children to have her house. There is no way that he could qualify to pay her what the house is worth, so in secret they did some kind thing where he gave her a small amount of money to buy a mobile home, which is her primary residence and he lives in her home which is now his primary residents She mentioned that he does owe her a lot of money but she doesn't mnd that she will never see the money he owes her.If they quick deeded the house to get he and his wfes name on the title, and something were to happen to her passing away, do us other sibling share any claim to a portion of the house? He pobably ony owes 20% of the house,but I don't have any docments to prove anything at this time. Becau tey kept this transaction very secretive, and we think its because we would have wanted her to get paid properly for her only asset
    Can you shed any light on this subject! Any info would help.

Thank you. Rhonda
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 12, 2014, 05:29 AM
    First, what state our country is she in?

Was title to the home in the name of one or both of your parents when your father died? Or was it joint tenancy with right of survivorship? Was his estate probated?
    Assuming it was JTWROS or his estate was probated and she inherited the house; it belongs to her. Therfore, she can do whatever she wants with it, including giving it to the favored son.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 12, 2014, 05:54 AM
    'Primary residence' is only meaningful for voting, income taxes, and some benefits, not inheritance.
    Who is on the deed is most important first in your research, and is no secret - go to the town hall in that town and look. If you are far away, call and ask if there is a way online.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2014, 09:47 AM
    If your mother owned the house (not a bank with a mortgage still) she can do whatever she wants with it. If she wants to give it to him for no money at all she can so that. Just like you can pick where and what to do with your property. If the deed to the house has not changed to his name yet and your mother still owns the home you and other siblings may stand a chance to inherit unless your mother has a will. If she has a will her estate will be handled according to that. Your mother may be leaving you and your other sibling other things or she may have decided to give everything to one person. Have you asked her?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My shed light keeps blowing seconds after I put it in [ 15 Answers ]

I have just had all new wiring threw out my entire house an ran to my shed "Was also rewired" an I went out to put a light in yesterday an it stayed on for about 10 min then blew.. I figured maybe something was in the light fixture so this morning I went out an cleaned it, put a bulb in an it blew...

Anyone out there that can shed some light?. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first post here but I didn't know where else to go. I am 22 years old. Basically I had my period from the 21/12/12 which ended on the 27/12/12 had unprotected sex with my partner during and after it ended. I was due my next period on the 24/01/13 however I between when my period...

Help shed a little light for me please [ 12 Answers ]

I had been dating this guy for about 8 months, and then he got this amazing job opportunity to work on a cruise ship as an entertainment singer. We were very much in love and we had even moved in together the month before he left (he didn't know he would have to leave within a month of getting the...

Someone shed some light [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to conceive for several months and this month something unusual happened. Two days before my expected menses I had slight spotting for an hour or so and then it stopped completely. Today menses came right on time. My question is, is it possible to be pregnant even though I have...

View more questions Search