Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kels76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2014, 12:11 AM
    Replacing a shower stall with a bath tub in the basement
    We have a shower that is approx 3' x 3' with the drain in the middle of the shower. I was looking into putting in a bath tub instead of shower. What I have realized is the drains will never line up. I have been doing a lot of research as to building a platform then putting the drainage pipes in that then put the tub on top of platform. Then I read that doing so could cause hair, skin cells, soap, etc to lay in the pipe and create a stench. I am trying really hard to keep the bathroom to a smaller budget, but do NOT want to have stinky pipes or harmful odors. I was thinking of calling a plumber and our permit office to see if I need either. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 12, 2014, 05:00 AM
    I read that doing so could cause hair, skin cells, soap, etc to lay in the pipe and create a stench.
    I disagree with that. If the tub is vented and the drainage sloped at the correct pitch I see no problem with smell. You have to framethrower bathtub and install a tub and shower valve. Good luck on your project, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 12, 2014, 11:50 AM
    Hmmmmm....I think Kels76 is talking about building a platform and running the pipe from the shower drain up and over to the new tub and tub drain. If that is the case, then Kels76 is correct when they worry about odors and gunk being a problem, for sure!

I was thinking of calling a plumber and our permit office to see if I need either.
    For sure you need a permit on a job like that and that will also require that a plumber be involved as you probably can't pull a plumbing permit yourself (not allowed in most states that I know of). Further, you or the plumber will need to break up the floor a bit and reroute the shower drain and PTRAP to the correct end of the tub, directly under the tub waste and overflow assembly...there really is no getting around that, OK? The nice thing is that it is really a lot easier than you might think to break up the floor and repipe the drain. The nicest thing is that you won't need a platform for the tub...building and properly finishing a platform is actually MORE work than just chipping out the floor and piping properly...amazing, I'm telling you!!

Mark
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 12, 2014, 01:14 PM
    I base my answer on Kels76 removing the old trap and connecting to the existing drain line. Then running a new drain line and trap under the platform. Of course it would be a lot neater to break up the floor and do it right. I think that would be the best solution. Good luck, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 19, 2014, 03:05 PM
    Hi guys.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 20, 2014, 04:20 AM
    Hi Lee.
    Welcome back, you have been missed. Hope everything is okay and that things are going well. Now, let's start seeing some of those great answer. Cheers, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 20, 2014, 02:33 PM
    Thanks, Tom. Things are good. Just never thought I could be so busy over the course of a year. I will try to pop in now and again, maybe. Everything is so different than what I remember here. I may have to get used to the new format. Im glad to see you guys are still giving your great services here. Take care. Lee.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 21, 2014, 05:28 AM
    It takes it takes a little while to get used to the new format. So pop them when you can you know you're always welcome.. You are part of our family. Glad things are going so well for you and will be looking for your input. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting shower stall to Bath tub rough-in [ 1 Answers ]

I have a walk-in shower on top of a concrete slab. I would like to install a 60" tub. Will there be a p- trap in the slab? Will it be located as such to line up with a tub? If not what will I need to do? Also please provide rough-in demensions for a 60'' tub

Bathroom. Replacing shower stall, toilet, sinks, tub [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm redoing my master bathroom to install the following: - new toilet (using same plumbing location as existing toilet) - new claw tub which is replacing a corner jacuzzi tub (I have to move the faucet location and drain slightly to fit the claw tub location) - replacing 1 sink with 2 x 28"...

Bathroom. Replacing shower stall, toilet, sinks, tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm redoing my master bathroom to install the following: - new toilet (using same plumbing location as existing toilet) - new claw tub which is replacing a corner jacuzzi tub (I have to move the faucet location and drain slightly to fit the claw tub location) - replacing 1 sink with 2 x 28"...

Converting shower stall to tiled bath [ 5 Answers ]

My minute Manhattan bathroom has a 36" x 36" tiled shower stall enclosed by 3 walls (yes, the bathroom is only 36" wide!) and a 6" marble ledge. The whole bathroom, tiles and all, is going to be demolished for the remodel. Here's my question: can I make a small soaking-type bathtub in this 36"...

View more questions Search