Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eleven Zhang Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2014, 10:47 AM
    How to determine the termination date for tax purpose
    Dear Atlanta Taxexpert,

My husband came to the US as a GC resident in Mid Feb. 2010 and left here in June 2012 having stayed here for over 2.5 years. He did not come back until last September. So in 2013 his presence in the US was only for 27 days, and this March he surrendered his GC card. My questions are:

1) how to determine his residency termination date for tax purpose, Dec 31, 2014 or March 2014( his GC abandonment date)?

2) what status is apprioate option for filing his tax return for 2014 in the following year of 2015. Should it be a dual status or a resident married filing jointly? If I also surrender my card, what is the filing situation? We have been filing jointly return since the year we became GC residents.

3) we have a dependent child who is a full time college

I read over some publications of IRS and some professional articles on intenet, but I get more confused regarding the above questions I am concerned about. I found your answers and opinions are professional and helpful. I would appreciate your great advice at your earliest. Thank you so much!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 11, 2014, 04:13 PM
    When you file your 2014 tax return, you have a choice. You CAN:

1) File a dual-status return. In that case, your Residency Termination Date is the date he abandoned the green card (I presumed he surrendered it to proper authorities).

OR

2) File as a full-year resident, declaring all world-wide income on that return. In that case, his Residency Termination Date is the default date of 31 December 2014.

Apr 11, 2014, 04:56 PM
    Hi Sir,

Thank you so much for your quick response, and really appreciate your help! I have one more question for you. In case I also terminate my residency here this year, and we both elect to file a dual status return for 2014, how should we claim our dependent child who is currently here as a full time college student? To my understanding, if 1040NR is filed, each of us has to file a separate return and only claim our own exemption while attaching a 1040 as a statement. As such, can I claim my child as my dependent in my 1040 return?As you suggested, we can also file as a full year resident reporting the worldwide income. Look forward to your reply. Thanks a lot!
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 11, 2014, 06:58 PM
    If you both have earned income in the United States in 2013, either one of you could claim the college student as a dependent.

Apr 12, 2014, 07:31 AM
    Dear Sir,

Thank you so much and greatly appreciate your help!
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2014, 09:38 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Determine my due date [ 0 Answers ]

I don't remember when my period came on but it was after my birthday which is December 27, my period was on by the 31 cause that's when I got pregnant. So how do I determine my due date

How to determine my due date. [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know my due date

How to file FICA tax? (I was a non-resident alien for tax purpose until last year) [ 7 Answers ]

Hello experts. I read some similar posts from last year, but I'm still confused, so I'd really appreciate it if you could help me. I'm a F1 visa holder with an OPT work permit. I was a non-resident alien until last year, but it seems that I'm considered as a resident alien for tax purpose this...

Tax for F-1 visa on OPT with tax treaty, resident alien for tax purpose [ 2 Answers ]

HI--I have multiple "identities" with regard to tax: 1. I'm an F-1 visa holder 2. I'm on OPT from Sept.2007-Aug.2008 3. I have benefits of tax treaty, under which I can be exempted from federal taxes up to $5000 a year for wages, and unlimited amount for fellowship 4. I'm a resident alien for...

View more questions Search