Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lifegiving Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Travel expenses deduction for L1 visa (less than 1 year)
    Dear Tax Expert,

My sister, Indian citizen worked for WMC direct (Burbank) from Aug 12th 2005 to June 12th 2006 with an L1 visa. According to publication 519, pg 28, Chapter 5, if a temporary assignment lasts less than 1 year, ordinary and necessary travel expenses as well as lodging(rent paid and utilities) can be deducted.

1. Is this applicable for an L1 visa with a job lasting less than 1 year? She rented an apt in Burbank and was paid a salary by GenPact, CT, USA.

2. For part of the time, the apt was rented under her room-mate's name. Would that be a problem or can we get around that showing the bills were coming there and hence she was a resident of that apt.

3. I have heard, since she is out of the country, she has a later deadline to file her taxes. Is this correct? How much extra time does she get? She definitely does not owe taxes. In fact, even w/o travel expense deductions, she will get back money.

I look forward to your expert advice.

Thank You,

Sincerely,

Eva
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 12:22 PM
    1) Yes, she can claim those expenses if she received no offsetting reimbursements from her employer. If she DID get reimbursed, but the reimbursements were then added to her taxable salary, she can still claim them.

2) She may need to prove her payment. Of course, if she claims the daily per diem rate, then she need prove NOTHING.

3) The later filing date is irrelevant if she owes no taxes. She should file as soon as possible in order to get her refund back, but the only REAL deadline for her is 16 April 2010. If she files after that date, she loses her rights to the refund.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travel expenses deduction F1 to H1B [ 4 Answers ]

I was doing my OPT during 2005, until June 30 when my F1 visa expired. The employer sponsored me and I had to go back home in July to get my H1B and returned to the US on October 1st, to start working again. Can I deduct the airfare for going back home and get my visa? Can I deduct some visa fees...

Relocation expenses deduction [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I moved from MA to CA for a new job in 2006. I was on H1 whole of 2006 and will be filing as a resident. My employer gave me 3000$ as relocation assistance, which is not shown on my W2. However on my salary slip it says I was given $5000 and after tax, I guess, it became $3000. Can I claim...

Executor of Will - Travel Expenses [ 2 Answers ]

My mother is Executrix of her mother's will. My mother lives in California; my grandmother resided in NY. When my grandmother died, my mother had to fly to NY and stay in NY in order to deal with her estate. There was no fee mentioned in the will for the Executor, but does my mother, as...

Divorce - travel expenses [ 2 Answers ]

I was divorced in the State of Rhode Island. My ex has since moved to PA and I now live in New York City. Currently, I take care of all travel and travel expenses during child visitation. I want my ex to provide half. Would a judge typically award this?

Ncp moving out of state, travel expenses? [ 2 Answers ]

I have full physical custody but my ex may be moving out of state and wants me to pay for half of plane tickets if he does. I won't stop him from moving but I don't feel it is fair for me to have to pay half the expense as he wants her to fly to visit quite often. Does anyone know how CA courts...

View more questions Search