Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Denise2576 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2014, 07:56 PM
    I live in NC and I have 2 children that are teens but want their stepfather to adopt
    Their bio father only wants to be in their lives when its convenient to him. He has never helped financially with them and has even laughed at me if I were to ask. My husband now, has been there for them and they love him. What can I do about him adopting?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 11, 2014, 06:22 AM
    1. Get a lawyer. I am astounded at the number of people that would go into an adoption situation with no lawyer. While you CAN do it without a lawyer, you can also set a bone without a doctor. I don't recommend either.
    2. Ask the biological father if he will relinquish rights. If he will, then this should be easy-peasy. If he's not involved, he may be willing to sign over rights to get out of future child support.
    3. Go to court and have the adoption finalized.

If the other biological parent is willing, step-parent adoptions are fairy easy and generally pretty reasonable in price.

PS--if you never got a support order, he has no legal obligation to pay child support. You may want to go after him for support first so that he has incentive to relinquish his rights.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2014, 08:09 AM
    If their father doesn't want anything to do with them it should be a fairly easy process. You first decide what adoption lawyer you want to go through. (I will never ever ever recommend trying an adoption without one) He/She will get the court date and prepare all the paperwork. You can simply ask the father to relinquish his right to let the adoption go through. If he doesn't agree at first you still go to court and try your case in front of the judge.

You said he doesn't pay support. Do you have a court order for support? That makes him legally responsible to pay. If you do have on you can go to court to have it enforced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stepfather Wanting to adopt [ 2 Answers ]

I too in the same situation as the stepfather wanting to adopt. The only difference is that the bio father has nothing to do with my kids, at all. I too want to adopt MY kids. I don't call them my stepkids, and they don't call me stepdad, because in my heart they are MINE and I am THEIR FATHER. ...

Would my stepfather adopt back in 1972 for tax purposes [ 1 Answers ]

Please need info,would my stepfather and mother of gained anything from adopting my brother and I for tax purposes back in 1972,would there of been a need to do this ? I have allways been told it was for tax reasons,I believe it was just to get back at my real father.any info appreciated.

Can a stepfather adopt a stepchild if he has a record [ 1 Answers ]

I know this person who does not want her ex husband to be a part of her son's life. She got remarried to a guy who does have a record. Can her new husband adopt this child?

My 21 year old daughter wants her stepfather to adopt her! [ 11 Answers ]

My 21 year old daughter would like my new husband to adopt her. She does not want to be her current last name which is my ex-husband's last name. Can you perhaps tell me what she can do to make this happen? How can she have my new last name?

Stepfather wants to adopt [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I have three children, two of which are from a previous relationship she had before our relationship began. I have been a father to these beautiful children for 12 and 11 years. Their biological father walked out of their lives when they were 4 months and 1years old, and he has never...

View more questions Search