Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    livlif2fulst12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2014, 07:44 PM
    Do I need an attorney if child's father agrees to sign his rights over to me?
    We have bn separated for almost 2yrs she was 4 1/2 months old and hasn't seen him since. Doesn't pay child support for her nor the court ordered support for the other three from previous relationship. He has never called and checked on her only sent birthday cards that came late... do I need attorney??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2014, 04:11 AM
    There is this myth that a parent can just sign over rights to a child. But its only a myth. Only a court can terminate parental rights and courts are very reluctant to do so.

Since the father is clearly not a part of the child's life, what do you think you (or he) gain by signing over rights?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2014, 08:01 AM
    If you are married to a man that wants to adopt he can sign to allow the adoption. That would be best going through an attorney to be done correctly. But he can not sign over any rights to you. Have you gone to court for child support? If you have an order for support that he isn't paying you can go back to court to have it enforced.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 12, 2014, 01:48 AM
    Agree with the above, an attorney is of no help, unless you are re-married and new husband wants to adopt.

A man can not just sign his rights away. If he is not paying support? Do you have a court order ? Have you taken him back to court for non payment ? Do you have a garnishment of his pay "

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get the father of my child sign off al his rights? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old baby boy with my ex, since my baby was 5 months old his father has not come to see him and he also doesn't pay any maintenance for our child. I'm more than willing to take care of my baby by myself. Please help what am I to do?

I want to take away paternity rights from my child's father and father agrees [ 3 Answers ]

I want to terminate paternity rights, my sons father does not pay child support & I am not seeking any. He has little or no involment in my sons life. How do we go about terminating paternity?

Father wants to sign away rights to child [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I go to find the forms to print off for my ex husband to sign away his rights to our child?

How would I go about getting the father of my child to sign his rights over? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 2 yr old daughter, and we live in Texas. When my daughter was 6mos. He decided being a father was too much an left to IL. I don't ask for child support, I have done it on my own and now I would like to just consider it his loss and remove any rights he may have. How would I go about...

How do I go about having the father of my child sign his rights away? [ 2 Answers ]

So I am a single mother, my daughter will be 2 at the end of December. Her father has not been here the whole time. I have been doing it on my own. I get 150 dollars a month child support but I would gladly give that up to have him sign his rights away. I know that if I were to come to him with the...

View more questions Search